Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bowl Games vs. Playoffs

Well I was doing some homework out of my College Composition book on wrtiiten argument, and I came across a very interesting topic:

Should Division 1 NCAA football have playoffs instead of the BCS?

The BCS has come under intense scrutiny the past few years with who should play in what game and against who? I believe their were 3 undefeated teams last year, and this year many people believe some games were fixed to prevent another 2004 problem. These games include the Michigan vs. Penn State game and the Virginia Tech vs. Miami FL games to name a couple. Now I realize Virginia Tech was waxed in their conference championship by Florida State, but now Florida State, with an 8-4 record gets to play Penn State with a 10-1 record. How does that figure? To make this even more rediculous, Florida State is ranked 22 going into this game against #3 Penn State. Finally, Virgina Tech dropped all the way to #12 when they were rated #3 going into their conference championship game vs. Florida State. I find this completely appauling. Their are many other teams with better records than Florida State, all in the top 10, that could be playing Penn State. Frankly, I believe Florida State will gets their asses waxed against Penn State, as they have a truly incredible, athletic defense with SPEED.

With all that being said, one may think I am taking a Nazi approach to the BCS. If you believe that you are mistaken, I just feel that it needs tweaking. One being to go back to the way it was during the mid 1990's with each conference having automatic bids to certain bowl games. It always used to be a Big 10 team versus a Pac 10 team in the Rose Bowl. Now we have Texas (Big 12), playing in it for only their second time in school history, against USC. Now this year it would have been USC versus Penn State, which I still believe would have been a good game, but in this case we could pull USC out to play Texas for the National Championship and throw in say UCLA to play Penn State. This would allow the fans to decide what the other teams should be ranked and debate it with others.

I guess Im just a traditionalist, but I like the bowl games. They separate Division 1 NCAA football from Division 2 and the NFL. Let Division 1 NCAA football have something that separates it from any other major sport. Besides that, with their being like 128 Division 1 teams, who the hell gets to decide who makes the playoffs? I know, we'll use the same system as the BCS right now, just in playoff format. GREAT, that won't solve any problems and will create more than we have now. So stick with the bowl games but get rid of the BCS please.

Well, that's my two cents. Anyone else have something to say?

Rex Robinson

No the NCAA should not have a playoff system. Then it would be like the pros. Then there is the question of the bowl games, what do you do with them and how would schools get their money for the bowl games.

The one thing that seperates the pros and college is that the schools record means something and every game counts. In the pros you can loose 4, 5, 6 maybe more and go to the playoffs and then go to the superbowl.

Most of the time the BCS works, but on rare ocassions you get the 2 undefeated teams and everyone wonders who is the national champion. In that case I say put it to a vote or then have a seperate game 1 more additional game for the championship. They can arrange 1 more game in the season. Split national championships are ok but they seem a little odd. They should take it to 1 more game for the undisputed national championship.

One other thing is that the BSC takes into account strength of schedule. Yes Florida State has lost 4 games but you have to see who they played and the stats during the games. They beat #3 Virgina Tech so what does that tell you. They will beat Penn State also. You watch.

If you have a playoff system all the teams would be scrambling to put the worst teams on their schedule to get to the playoffs. Boring regular season.

Florida State--Florida State-------F-L-O-R-I-D-A---S-T-A-T-E

They kinda suck right now, so does Florida and Miami seems to be a little weak.

+1
    They will beat Penn State also. You watch.
    I doubt it , not gonna happen!

We need a playoff system...no doubt about it.

As for Florida State...they proved this year that the BCS is for crap. How the hell does a 4-loss team back their way into one of the 4 best bowl games??

Penn State is gonna take them to the woodshed, you watch. FSU loses by at least 2 touchdowns.

And FSU...we now officially own you. I say it's great, to be, a FLORIDA GATOR!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gatorhead_256.gif 
Views:	35 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	1502  

Yeap, play-offs are needed.

Here's my idea. Use the current BCS ranking system for the top 8 teams. Pair them up using a similar system as the NCAA basketball tournament. Assuming the top 4 bowls follow this year's ranking of importance: Rose, Fiesta, Orange, Sugar

#1 vs. #8 Sugar Bowl
    #2 vs. #7 (insert bowl name here) Bowl
    #3 vs. #6 (insert bowl name here) Bowl
    #4 vs. #5 (insert bowl name here) Bowl

Winner 1,8 vs. Winner 4,5 Orange Bowl
    Winner 2,7 vs. Winner 3,6 Fiesta Bowl

Winner Orange vs. Winner Fiesta in the Rose Bowl playing for the National Championship.

It possibly adds 2 more games to the two teams playing in the National Championship Game.

Quote Originally Posted by mink66
    Yeap, play-offs are needed.

Here's my idea. Use the current BCS ranking system for the top 8 teams. Pair them up using a similar system as the NCAA basketball tournament. Assuming the top 4 bowls follow this year's ranking of importance: Rose, Fiesta, Orange, Sugar

#1 vs. #8 Sugar Bowl
    #2 vs. #7 (insert bowl name here) Bowl
    #3 vs. #6 (insert bowl name here) Bowl
    #4 vs. #5 (insert bowl name here) Bowl

Winner 1,8 vs. Winner 4,5 Orange Bowl
    Winner 2,7 vs. Winner 3,6 Fiesta Bowl

Winner Orange vs. Winner Fiesta in the Rose Bowl playing for the National Championship.

It possibly adds 2 more games to the two teams playing in the National Championship Game.
    Mink66, I can see where you're going with your solution, but I could not disagree more. This would be about the worst possibble solution and here's why. Look at all the top ten teams past the #1 and #2; they all have one loss, and there are also teams in the top 20 with 1 loss. So how do you decide which two one loss teams in the top ten, or 5 or 8 teams in the top 20, don't get to go to the playoffs? Rankings don't mean shit as far as Im concerned, and the FSU vs. VT game proved that. There is no way FSU should have won but they did, and because of that FSU makes it to the playoffs with 4 losses and VT doesn't with only 1 loss?

I can't imagine a playoff system working with interconference games being played in only the first 2 or 3 games of the year, and those are usually weak D1 teams vs. good D1 teams. Interconference play would be the only way to have a playoff system, and that would be practically impossible with 125 D1 teams.

We have to look beyond the problem to fix it, and not just make it the same problem but on a different scale. I don't like the BCS but I simply can't imagine a playoff system for D1 NCAA football.

Rex Robinson

Another reason why a playoff will not work. You are also talking about 117 teams. Yes the B-ballers do it but they don't ring in as much money for the schools as the football teams do. No bowl bids in basketball.

Basketball makes money but no where near as much as football does.
    ( collegiate level )

top 16 teams, not top 8. Apply similar formula, and I'm in!

RXPkid,

Your example of FSU is flawed. The system I describe would use the top 8 ranked teams based on the current BCS ranking system. No way could an FSU (currently ranked 22) sneak into the BCS because of division championship provision with the scenario I describe. All the current major bowls would host outstanding games with top ranked teams. All the money at the bowl level would still be in play.

Ash,

I see your point. I just think using the top 16 would add too many games to a teams' schedule. For 16 to work, you would have to start losing a home game or two and the alumni and local economies around the college towns would not stand for that. The system I describe adds possiby two more games to the two teams vying for the national championship.

JMO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information