Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polaris 800DI no spark

I have a 800DI which has no spark in it . I have read about bas stators and stuff so we have now changed it . Unfortunately there is still no spark. I have fully charged battery. Any ideas

+1
    HI bear, WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!!

I'm just getting this together, some change may be necessary. If you find an error please let me know!

1. First make sure you have resistor type plugs.
    2. Check Ground Continuity. From inside the spark plug cap to the engine, readings should be 6-7K ohms. If this checks good, go to step 3.
    .....a. If one or two are out of range, remove the plug cap and check the resistance between the wire and engine ground. The reading should be between 1200-1600 ohms without the caps.
    3. Open the electrical box and check for correct connections between the stator, CDI, coils and the board. Check for pinched wires, corroded connections or water in the electrical box.
    Spend the extra moment to check the back side of the board for rust.
    .....a. Make sure the yellow stator wire is connected to the "YELLOW" on the terminal board and not the yellow/purple MFD jumper.
    .....b. Make sure the is no continuity between the black/yellow and black on the terminal board (with the tether installed).
    .....c. Make sure the red/purple wire at the CDI has 12 volts.
    .....d. While cranking make sure the brown wire to the CDI has 5-9 volts.
    .....e. Check stator resistance. Black meter wire to the black wire from the stator and the red wire goes to;
    engine stud: 0-1 ohm.
    Purple Wire: 1200 ohms new system...5.5 ohms
    Gray Wire: 88 ohms new system...open
    Brown, red, green, blue red/purple: open reading
    Then red/purple to yellow .75 ohms.
    .....f. Disconnect coil wires and check the resistance from the primary side. Black/White to:
    Yellow/Brown: .35 ohms (mag)
    Black/Blue: .35 ohms (center)
    Black/Green: .35 ohms (PTO)
    Secondary Side to:
    1200-1600 ohms without plug cap
    6000-7000 ohms with plug cap.
    4. Check trigger points as outlined in tech section.

If you have a mis-fire or early RPM drop out that makes no sense, test the LR54 (voltage regulator).
    With the engine idling, check the voltage at the gray wire, it should be above 3 volts with less than 1/4 tank of fuel.
    Pink wire should be below 3 volts
    Tam wires should be above 5 volts.
    IF these readings are incorrect replace the unit.
    If the battery is low so cranking RPM's are down, the engine may have spark with plugs removed BUT have no spark or a weak spark under compression.
    Make SURE the battery is fully charged!!!

+1
    Al,
    You gave him a stator check for a domestic carb engine. this is a DI engine. LOL!

+1
    ok unplug you tps and then see if it starts. if not then unplug one injector and measure the volts coming out of the harness. put one meter lead in each wire(use some backprobes or paperclips so you do not ruin the terminal ends) and put your meter on DC volts.put your lanyard in and crank the engine over and see what the meter reads. it should read 22-25 vdc while cranking. what do you have? let us know what you come up with and we will take it from there? also what year virage I is it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 4strokepolaristech View Post
    ok unplug you tps and then see if it starts. if not then unplug one injector and measure the volts coming out of the harness. put one meter lead in each wire(use some backprobes or paperclips so you do not ruin the terminal ends) and put your meter on DC volts.put your lanyard in and crank the engine over and see what the meter reads. it should read 22-25 vdc while cranking. what do you have? let us know what you come up with and we will take it from there? also what year virage I is it?

I Have checked power/earth into electric box today and seems good but still no power into ignition coil hence no spark. I will try to see if i have power to the injectors tommorrow. I suspect that maybe the electric box under front cowling is faulty, cannot be much else really. Would a faulty timing sensor stop a spark being generated ? The Jetski is a 2002 Virage 800DI with only 25 hrs on clock !!

+1

Well boys, either I have to start reading the posts instead of seeing no spark and throwing up information or I better take a veeeeery long vacation.

Since I'm already out in the middle of the water with no paddle I'll say it's a bad TPS sensor.

+1
    al,
    great write up on the stator check. we all get frazzed on hear i know i do. you answer so much sometimes it is overwhelming! good man you are AL!!! hey take a vacation to the east coast and get away from it all and come out and visit! come ride some fast boats and see the other coast!!!

+1
    Thanks for pulling up the slack, Jay ole' buddy, ole pal of mine.
    I'm really liking this PRED deal and I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger, I'll let you know!!

Thanks for the help Al & Jay, I have been trawling through all the messages about polaris DI problems and still have not fixed this 800 DI. These are latest symptoms. Firstly no spark, fuel pump does not come on, no volts at injectors , new stator fitted , new EPS fitted . Tested the lanyard switch and all seems fine, battery is new and 11v supplied at cranking. Can only really be the EMM unit now ! I have read quite a few of Bernie's post and i feel sorry for him owning 5 of em !! I wish i had never volunteered to fix it for a friend !! I'm about to put all the bits in a box and drop it back to where it came from . I'll stick with my GPR yam i think !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information