Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

RXP Engine Damage ?

Hey I need some help/opinions on something I just discovered tonight on my 2004 RXP Stage I. Last year I was riding at close to top speed when everything just quit, I assumed it was the battery as is a common fix for this and waited to put it in until this spring. Installing the battery did not fix it, The starter would try to crank but wouldn't turn the engine over, just one click was all. I popped the spark plugs out and the spark plug in the 3rd cylinder had been hit by the piston (so it looked). There was no end left and it had been smashed up into the end of the spark plug. I have attached a pic of the damaged plug.I have not taken any bit of the engine apart, yet so no more info as far as how extensive the damage is, however, it does appear that there are many metal fragments when looking into spark plug hole. #1 and #2 spark plugs/cyclinders appear to be ok.

So my questions are:
    1.) Has anyone heard and/or of this happening?
    2.) What could have caused this?
    3.) What's the next step?
    4.) What kind of cost are we looking at?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JON_1965.JPG 
Views:	367 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	22975  

+1
    Welcome RXP757. Wish your arrival was on better terms.

I'm no expert, but I my initial opinion is that you are looking at a very, very large repair bill, involving valves, piston and some other expensive parts. I hope I'm wrong.

ouch! That`s gonna hurt...
    Welcome to the forum. Let us know what you find...PR...

That looks rough dude deff not gona be a cheap or easy fix. All you had was a stage one on there? what kind of gas were you using? Im not a spark plug expert but judging by the gold color of the plug it looks like it was running lean. The experts will chime in shortley.

Probably a dropped valve has done this. The valve keepers were a bit weak on the 04s and were superceeded to stronger ones late in 04 if I remember correctly.The head will have to come off to get a better look.

its an 04 , should still be under warranty if the original owner put an extended on that HIN ... Mine is .... your looking at thousands of dollars to fix it the rite way , if its not under warranty you are better off selling "as is" and getting a new ski with extended warranty , unless of course u have loot like that to spend

I bought the ski in August of 04. I've been running 93 fuel everytime I fill up, not sure why it would have been running lean.
    As far as selling as is, what do you all think would be a fair value on something like this?
    Not to say I'm gonna sell as is, but I still have to pull the head and peak inside. I'd probably take the motor out myself and get that part of the labor done.
    Has anyone in here completely removed their motor before?

Banned User
    Most likely what happen is you floated a valve and it taged the piston. This happens all the time, thats why they make the heavy duty valve kit. Or the valve taged the piston and took a chunk out of it and hit the plug. I would pull the valve cover and do a visual on the valves. Or just pull the head. In the end its gonna be a pain in the ass to fix because the motor will most likely have to come out. Sorry for the bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by RXP757 View Post
    Has anyone in here completely removed their motor before?
    Lots of us,some of us more than once!! Its really not that hard just tear into it and if your not sure about anything just ask.There are lots of helpful and knowledgable people on the board to point you in the right direction.

Chris.

I don't think it was lean. I was there when he took the plugs out. The plugs looked in similiar condition to the plugs from my stock 05 RXT

A dropped valve or valve froat sounds correct to me

Let me know when you want to pull that head and take a look.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information