Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

The Sleeper Never Sleeps

Today, I had a wonderful day. After I spread another truck bed full of mulch in the new flower bed, I went and rode. I have not ridden in a month, so I drained the fuel last night and put 5 gallons of fresh fuel in it. The only thing I have done since the last time I rode was fill in the speedo cut out. The very first run without even being on the buzzer, I hit 67.5, my best to date. Shortly after this run, the buzzer came on and I made one more run and hit 67.5 again. I went back to the ramp and got ready to start shimming the ride plate. First I had to take a hammer and a screw driver to the ride plate bolt holes. After 3 beers and thirty or so minutes all the putty came out of the holes. I then put a few gallons back in it because I wanted to be sure all my testing was done with the same amount of fuel. I put a piece of duck tape on the gas tank last night, right where five gallons of fuel comes up to.

I made another run with the bolt holes not filled, just to see how much speed I would lose. I hit 67.3, so I lost .2 mph with the ride plate bolt holes not filled. I pulled back out of the water and installed a washer under the front two bolt holes. After again making sure I had the same amount of fuel, I went back out for a run. I hit 67.8. By this time I am starting to grin.

I pull back out of the water again, and place one more washer under the front two bolt holes of the plate, and make sure to bring the fuel back up to the 5 gallon mark. I hit 68.0. It was about 6 o clock by this time, so I decided to make a few more runs with this same set up. I hit the buzzer and hit 68.2. When this happened, I thought about rubbing one out.

The weather was 85 degrees, and the water was glass with a few sections of a slight wind ripple. There was absolutely no current. This was on a bayou and not a narrow flowing river. Runs were made in both directions with the same results. Without grinding the pump or plate, I can't fit any more shims under the front. The shims I used were thick, and I will measure the thickness of them tommorow.

One thing that I found suprising about all this was that it did not porpoise, even in superman with the trim all the way up. It did not feel any different, completely stable and porpoise free. I think I can squeeze a little bit more out of it. I should be at 68.4 by just filling the plate holes back in, but I am going to put more shims under it first.
    Last edited by 97GPSLEEPER; 04-29-2007 at 12:28 AM.

+1
    Who would have thought puting washers under the front of your plate would gain speed

+1
    A little birdy said something about it.

+1
    Great job you rock

+1
    Hmmmm who would of thought that speedo cutout was a speed robber we need to thank the Mighty Spud for this one.

+1
    That's great.
    It shows how things have moved on.
    Don't forget Riva were only getting 68-70 with their stage 2 GPr1200!
    I know 'offical figures' were 68 for stage 1 and 70 for stage 2, but not many were able to acheive their quoted 70.
    Well done!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    That's great.
    It shows how things have moved on.
    Don't forget Riva were only getting 68-70 with their stage 2 GPr1200!
    I know 'offical figures' were 68 for stage 1 and 70 for stage 2, but not many were able to acheive their quoted 70.
    Well done!
    hows your gp comming on...any numbers yet..

What ride plate are you running?

....back from the dead.... J-ME's Avatar
    +1
    Most impressive

I am glad your ringing those great speeds out of your 'ski. I bet it gets many other GP owners very excited.

+1
    I think the speedo cut out was worth about .2 mph. I now know for sure how much just filling that in adds, as well as filling the rideplate bolt holes. Last year when I started filling holes I did every hole under the ski except the front two intake grate bolts, all at one time, so I did no know how much speed just the ride plate holes been filled added. The plate holes are another .2 mph. If you think about it, it's kinda ridiculous the work that goes in for .2 mph here and there, but it all adds up.

89 burban, I am running and R&D with the Group K mod.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information