Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Skat-Trak Prop Results - Best of both worlds !!

I tested the new Skat impellor today against the stock impellor, back to back.

Note: back to back means the same exact setup, no rideplate removal, therefore, no silicone differences, same weather, humidity, water temp & conditions.

My Ultra 250 is completely stock with the exception of the bolt-on LX pump wedge. The boat has 10 hours on it. I have not touched the hull (ie. filling in rideplate and intake bolt holes etc). I weigh 254 lbs.

With the new Skat impellor the boat accelerated faster and harder, coming out of sharp turns was easy;
    You can even feel the differnce just idling;
    there was absolutely no cavitation at any speed;
    and the best part is that is ran 0.5 mph faster.

The water was 68 deg, air 89 deg, humidity 19%.

My top speed was 68.4 MPH

Interestingly, the best speeds for both the stock impellor and Skat impellor came from speed runs in choppy water and over small boat wakes. On the smooth water (on a little known finger off the lake) it was difficult to get the nose of the boat up or my weight far enough back.

I am confidant that when I get the bow out of the water a bit more I will see higher speeds.

Lastly, my testing was done with identical amounts of gasoline (3 Bars).
    So, if I had run the gas down to the buzzer I likely would have gotten even higher speeds.

One more thing, I purposely have not mentioned the pitch or style of the impellor so the competition dosen't try knocking it off before Skat has a chance to get this awsome impellor to market. I am not a retailer so call your dealer for availability.

Cheers,
    Scott

Wow, thanks for that information. Only 0.5 mph gain. Not the kind of numbers I was expecting. I was hopeing for at least a 3 mph gain. Well I do and I'm sure the rest of us on this forum appriciate you shareing that info with us. It looks like its going to be the ECU replacement that is going to show the big top speed gains. Again thanx.

Thanks for the feedback. The Skat prop sound great for CC racers that want more acceleration and hookup (something that skat is known for ) and will most likely be a hit. Is the acceration noticeable different ... like holy cow different or just ehhh different? Would be nice if Skat could tweak the prop just a little more to get a smidge more top end out of it. A prop should be able to give you at LEAST 1.5-2mph top end gain in my opinion.

Thanks again for your efforts. I will be guessing if skat release this prop you tested that most of us rec riders will probably hold out to see what solas has up their sleeve for a prop. It will be interesting to be able to run the 2 props back to back on the same craft to really see how they compare.

Curtis

+1
    The .5 mph speed increase may have been vertified by GPS. Even so, it isn't enough of an increase to be set in concrete. Too many variables still exist even when running conditions are nearly as identical as is possible. As for the better hookup and acceleration...seat of the pants feel doesn't hold much weight IMO. Only the proper test instruments can tell for sure. Or at a minimum, try to run another ski with both props and see what the difference is. I think careful tweeking of the stock prop will yield the same if not better performance gains and cost a lot less than this new Scat prop.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by cue03 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. The Skat prop sound great for CC racers that want more acceleration and hookup (something that skat is known for ) and will most likely be a hit. Is the acceration noticeable different ... like holy cow different or just ehhh different? Would be nice if Skat could tweak the prop just a little more to get a smidge more top end out of it. A prop should be able to give you at LEAST 1.5-2mph top end gain in my opinion.

Thanks again for your efforts. I will be guessing if skat release this prop you tested that most of us rec riders will probably hold out to see what solas has up their sleeve for a prop. It will be interesting to be able to run the 2 props back to back on the same craft to really see how they compare.

Curtis
    The acelleration was certainly noticeable however the Ultra started with good bottom end.
    I am sending the prop back tomorrow for repitching to see if we can improve on the top speed.

Quote Originally Posted by way2fast View Post
    The .5 mph speed increase may have been vertified by GPS. Even so, it isn't enough of an increase to be set in concrete. Too many variables still exist even when running conditions are nearly as identical as is possible. As for the better hookup and acceleration...seat of the pants feel doesn't hold much weight IMO. Only the proper test instruments can tell for sure. Or at a minimum, try to run another ski with both props and see what the difference is. I think careful tweeking of the stock prop will yield the same if not better performance gains and cost a lot less than this new Scat prop.

Richard
    I agree Richard that "seat of the pants" is not as accurate as proper test equipment, however, it is better information than none at all.
    Please post your results so we can all benefit.

Been around for years...seen it all Kawi-Guy's Avatar
    +1

a big let down

0.5 mph increase is horrible !

hopefully this prop was intended for acceleration and the slight increase on top just happened .

i really hope someone comes out with a prop that picks up 2 to 3 mph

I would say any information is a positive thing. What we are seeing is Skat coming out with a prop that is focusing on Low End and Mid Range. A .5 MPH gain from a Skat is awesome. Most of the time a Skat prop drops some on the top to improve the bottom.

Any one expecting a Prop to yield 2 to 3 mph from this machine in stock form is going to be upset for awhile. Kawi did an awesome job pitching the prop to match the HP. Skat had to work like hell to figure this out and much props to them for it. "get it"

Now that we will soon be able to put more HP to the prop we will soon be looking for aftermarket props to yield more. Till that day comes then the prop companies only have stock or close to stock machine to do testing.

I am now tapping at the door of roasting my stock prop. So I hope this new Skat will be able to handle the extra spin I have. I'm seeing RPM's as high as 8200 at this point and speed as high as . Sorry ya gotta wait till its been done over and over again and again. Can say that this boat is tearing up the closed coarse races at this point. This could change but as of now the 250 is getting a awesome start.

So please do us a favor and continue with the information and dont let the bone picking get to ya. Im greatful, as Im sure others are too.

Been around for years...seen it all Kawi-Guy's Avatar
    +1
    Scott,

Have Glen repitch it a bit then let us know what the results are.
    I am interested in the Skat prop , If I can get better acceleration and mid range, plus 1 mph on top, I will buy one for sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information