• Nothing

4 12.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Radios

+1

Radios

Greetings--

We've been talking about radios-- FRS vs VHF.
    We have a set of FRS radios we use when skiing ect with the kids. We've tried them some on the water but their range is so limited it doesnt help much except line of sight across the lake.

What do you folks use to keep in touch when riding ? I thought I'd try a poll and see.
    Last edited by Piney; 04-29-2007 at 02:42 PM.

I use my cell now but I would like to purchase a handheld VHF. I think the VHF would be more reliable IMO

VHF; cell phone may not get a signal on a large body of water. Imo, you should always plan for worst case scenario and hope you never need it.

I have a Standard Horizon VHF handheld radio... I always take with me plus the cell phone...PR...

Thats why i don't like to ride alone Exp. in the ocean because if all else fails atleast you have someone you can count on.(or atleast an extra Ski)

An extra ski won't necessarily help you if you suffer an injury, a vhf radio will help you summon the appropriate help quickly.

Radio

Have you considered though that the hand held VHF only has a 5 mile range? I was all hot to get one until I realized that many of the places I like to go (where I need the radio the most) are not well travelled by other boats and certainly no Coast Guard boat w/in 5 miles so does it really add much safety?

I can't remember ever seeing a pwc 5 miles or more off the Gulf Coast, but your point is taken.

I will say that myself and other boaters I know carry a cell phone and 12volt charger, vhf and extra batteries, gps and 12v power supply and extra batteries, first aid kit, flash light, battery jump box, tool kit, tow line plus required safety gear. Not all practical for a pwc, but I can tell you my wife was happy to have the first aid kit when she was stung by a jelly fish, and we were both happy to have the jump box on a couple of occasions. I will sacrifice some speed for safety, but a pwc'er operating close to shore as most seem to do, need not be so safety concious I suppose. Although it is much quicker and easier to pick up a waterproof handheld and transmit on a monitored channel than to fumble with a cell phone in choppy or rough water, imo.

I usually carry my cell phone, but get no service out on the water. We've used FRS out on the water to comm with the people back in camp, I have considered getting a VHS radio to call for help in emergency...

Plus, I found another good safety device . www.roadid.com

Radio

Thanks TM1 for the gear suggestions. What kind of jump box? You can get a VHF (made for a boat) thats only a little bigger than a hand held but I concluded there is no good way to mount the 4' attenae that seems to be required. I was thinking about carrying an extra battery cuz I've always thought thats the most important back up but some people seem to think its overkill. I have also considered getting an EPIRB which has the advantage of signalling your exact location but they are awfully expensive units. An EPIRB would have saved the lives of those unfortunate souls who got trapped on Mt. Hood last winter though which brought the point home for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information