Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

URGENT:Is this flush enough?

My ride plate is not fully flush to the full, is this normal for a J-PLate? I am almost positive that I ground off enough off the pump. The pump surface was flat from side to side. Please help...I wanna go ride!

THe pics arent very good, because the plate is so shiny and reflects the sunlight. The bolts arent tightened all the way..yet. I wanna make sure that this is fine before tightening, so that I dont warp the plate. Pics are full size so that the details can be seen.

Pics suck. Put a sheet of paper between the plate and the pump, if you can pull it out you're good. If the plate is riding on the pump, then keep on grinding. The plate should fit up flush to the hull without hitting the pump, if not keep grinding.

You are too late lol.
    I took the chance and just tightened her up.
    To make sure that it was gonna be flush, I put a piece of paper between the mounting points on the hull and the plate. When I was done, I tried pulling the paper, and it ripped, meaning that everything is flush.

Took the ski out today, I could really tell a diff from the PPK and J-PLate. Only saw 1.5mph tho, but I was porpoising pretty bad (need to step the sponsoons). When Idling the ski, thought, it sounded different...more suppressed, and deeper, and it sort of sounded lopey, like a car with a mid/big camshaft. I have a feeling it from the exhaust pipe being loose and vibrating. Any tips to keep the pipe from shaking loose? (btw the bolts are the ones with the nuts that go through the "U" mounts)

THat was off topic, but didn't think its necessary to make a new thread. Also, there is always water in the hull for some reason, and smoke(evaporating water) coming from the bottom of the hull between the pipe and engine.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    If you have smoke and water in your hull you either have a loose exhaust clamp or a cracked pipe. That will cause you to lose alot of speed.

just GOT TO DO IT! great lakes gpr 1200's Avatar
    I have a feeling it from the exhaust pipe being loose and vibrating. Any tips to keep the pipe from shaking loose? (btw the bolts are the ones with the nuts that go through the "U" mounts)

THat was off topic, but didn't think its necessary to make a new thread. Also, there is always water in the hull for some reason, and smoke(evaporating water) coming from the bottom of the hull between the pipe and engine.[/quote]

U-mounts are (IMO) a sign that the brace UNDER the pipe that conects to the exhuast to the block are loose. If that comes loose you will not keep the u mount tight. I used loctight RED and the bolts broke on the u-mounts. That was some new fun. just a thought. It happend to me.

Quote Originally Posted by PuprleNuprleGPR View Post
    You are too late lol.
    I took the chance and just tightened her up.
    To make sure that it was gonna be flush, I put a piece of paper between the mounting points on the hull and the plate. When I was done, I tried pulling the paper, and it ripped, meaning that everything is flush.

Took the ski out today, I could really tell a diff from the PPK and J-PLate. Only saw 1.5mph tho, but I was porpoising pretty bad (need to step the sponsoons). When Idling the ski, thought, it sounded different...more suppressed, and deeper, and it sort of sounded lopey, like a car with a mid/big camshaft. I have a feeling it from the exhaust pipe being loose and vibrating. Any tips to keep the pipe from shaking loose? (btw the bolts are the ones with the nuts that go through the "U" mounts)

THat was off topic, but didn't think its necessary to make a new thread. Also, there is always water in the hull for some reason, and smoke(evaporating water) coming from the bottom of the hull between the pipe and engine.
    I think its important that the plate isn't touching the pump even if it is flush with the hull. When you putting preasure on the plate if it is touching the pump you are putting pressure on the pump it self! Not good IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by great lakes gpr 1200 View Post
    I have a feeling it from the exhaust pipe being loose and vibrating. Any tips to keep the pipe from shaking loose? (btw the bolts are the ones with the nuts that go through the "U" mounts)

U-mounts are (IMO) a sign that the brace UNDER the pipe that conects to the exhuast to the block are loose. If that comes loose you will not keep the u mount tight. I used loctight RED and the bolts broke on the u-mounts. That was some new fun. just a thought. It happend to me.[/QUOTE]

Do you have the jetworks mod installed? I would think if you had it installed and the pipe was shaking different than the motor your connection with the waterbox could be off some and thats where your getting your leak.

Maybe thats why I am loosing so much speed...
    With 1200 grate I was at 61.4
    Then after installing JW + Dplate I was at 61.7
    Now with PPK and the Jplate (not FF) I am 63.1, but could get 1-2mph more with better conditions.

I will talk to a local guy and have him check it out. He builds 80+mph skis, so Im guessing he's good. Thanks.

You need to understand that the bolts will pull the plate flush with the hull EVEN IF THE PLATE IS HITTING THE PUMP. You have now most likely bowed /bent the plate where it is hitting the bottom of the pump. The paper needs to be put between the plate and pump when tightening the bolts, if you can't pull it free you're bending the plate around the pump bottom as you tighten the bolts.

I will check it out tomorow, but I grinded the pump so its flat from side to side. THe plate fit on really well, and looking at it from the back, the center surface is still flat. I doubt that I did any damage to the plate, but will check tomorow. Seems like I have a bigger problem with a leak somewhere and a loose pipe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information