Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hummingbird GPS & Depthfinder

Just purchased a Hummingbird GPS/Depthfinder for my 05 Sportster. I am getting ready to mount the Transducer and I wanted to see where others have this mounted on your boats.

If anyone has pictures that would be great!!!

Thanks!!!

I mounted mine under the gas tank. As much space as there is to work in the engine bay sanding the inside hull can be tedious. I broke one side of the mounting bracket by stepping on it and the LCD didn't work very long. I read on some site that the bracket was needed to work properly. Don't know how true that is, but in my case I had LCD readout issues from the get go.

I put a fishfinder/GPS on the outside of my last boat and what a mistake that was. I haven't put one on the new boat yet, but from experiance i will be putting one on soon, and the transducer will be glued to the inside of the hull and not mounted on the transome.

transducer

Did you get a thru-hull or an external transducer? With a thru-hull, you don't want to put it anywhere you expect that the hull will leave contact with the water...the farther back the better. I mounted my external transducer next to the speedometer paddle wheel. You don't want the external transducer behind anything on the hull that will cause turbulence.

Quote Originally Posted by cyoungesq View Post
    Did you get a thru-hull or an external transducer? With a thru-hull, you don't want to put it anywhere you expect that the hull will leave contact with the water...the farther back the better. I mounted my external transducer next to the speedometer paddle wheel. You don't want the external transducer behind anything on the hull that will cause turbulence.

The unit came with the option to do both....thru hull or external. I was leaning on mounting it in the area next to the speedometer wheel as I assumed that was put there for because there was little turbulence.

So I am now leaning toward a thru-hull install......(I just hate drilling holes through a boat).

Any disadvantage I need to be aware of doing the thru-hull install??? I found a good place toward the back of the boat, nice and flat, just a little sanding needed.

Anyone input appreciated!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mgurgone View Post
    So I am now leaning toward a thru-hull install......(I just hate drilling holes through a boat).

Any disadvantage I need to be aware of doing the thru-hull install??? I found a good place toward the back of the boat, nice and flat, just a little sanding needed.

Anyone input appreciated!!!

I have the norcross Hawkeye dept finder with an in hull transducer. I've been trying to find a place to mount it ... so far no luck. I've tried various places in the engine bay ( even the nice and flat place ) with no luck.

I did see someone say they mounted one under the gas tank. This will be the next place for me to try. Fingers crossed i'll get it working as I too do not like drilling holes in boats

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by D Lo View Post
    I mounted mine under the gas tank. As much space as there is to work in the engine bay sanding the inside hull can be tedious. I broke one side of the mounting bracket by stepping on it and the LCD didn't work very long. I read on some site that the bracket was needed to work properly. Don't know how true that is, but in my case I had LCD readout issues from the get go.
    D Lo....We have the same boat (even same year), and you said you thru-hull mounted it under the gas tank. Can you explain where exactly you did this???

I see a couple spots where this could work, but if you have a spot that we know works I would probably use your idea.

Thanks!!!

I haven't tried mine under the gas tank either yet, hopefully i'll try it at the weekend
    Last edited by sarasotabrit; 05-02-2007 at 05:50 PM.

I mounted it in front of the engine about 2" in front of the ridge. The transducer is about half way under the gas tank. I'm not sure how much turbulence the bottom of the hull sees that far up. As I mentioned I had issues with my LCD right from the start. Not sure if it was defective or if the said website was correct about needing the metal bracket to work properly, or if the placement wasn't optimum. I was going to buy another one and hook it up, but as for now I know my lake pretty well and the depth finder is basically for reference. If any of you guys try it and it works well definitely follow up here. I will buy another unit because it's always good to know other areas I haven't been. HTH

-D-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information