+1

+1
    Man that is crazy! Im glad your wife was not seriously hurt.If it did hit her in the head,she might have fallen off the ski @ 60. I bet she will be sore for a few days.

+1
    We rode the Trinty river a couple weekends ago and I almost got hit by one. Missed me by a couple of feet.

Another wake up call for everyone... always be alert.

Hell, a big freaking dragon fly hit me in the face a while back and broke my glasses. Glad I had on glasses.

+1
    The mullet were jumping everywhere today. Definately not a good day for high speed testing.

Does anyone know why they jump? I was told by an old Cajun man that they jump because its spawning season and they jump because they are trying to loosen their eggs up. Don't know if this is true or not

Over the years there have been numerous theories concerning the leaping of mullet. There seems to be two categories of leaping: predator avoidance and aerial respiration.
    Leaping to avoid predators usually involves more than one fish jumping simultaneously, retaining an upright posture and entering the water cleanly.
    The second type of leaping involves a single fish that does a slower, shorter leap, often flipping onto its side or even onto its back. They may also roll at the surface or move with their head above the water.
    The research of Hoese (1985) suggests that Sea Mullet use this second category of movements to fill the pharyngobranchial organ (an area at the back of the throat) with air.
    The trapped air is believed to allow the fish to remain active in water of low oxygen concentration for about five minutes.
    Several interesting lines of evidence support this theory. The number of jumps is correlated with the concentration of oxygen in the water. The less oxygen, the more jumps.
    Secondly, Sea Mullet feed during the day often in bottom sediments that have low oxygen concentrations. Jumping occurs much more commonly during the day. Sea Mullet rarely jump at night.

Im glad she's ok.
    Around here we have a huge problem with chinese carp. They are getting out of control and taking over the waterways. They get agrevated by the sound of the engine and jump at the sound. They actually eject blood from there gills when they jump.

There is actually a new sport now where people drive up the river with the trim up and shoot the fish out of the air with there bows. There might be as many as 30 fish in the air at one time. weighing 50 pounds each they will aim right for you and it hurts even if you sitting still. I have had 5 jump in the boat within a couple minutes without trying.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    The mullet were jumping everywhere today. Definately not a good day for high speed testing.

Does anyone know why they jump? I was told by an old Cajun man that they jump because its spawning season and they jump because they are trying to loosen their eggs up. Don't know if this is true or not
    the mullet are part of the yami fan club..they are under strict orders from us to take out any fast seadoo's...

better watch out we are soooo close to closing a two year deal with dolphins....
    Last edited by Hydrotherapy; 04-30-2007 at 01:28 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by saltygpr13 View Post
    the mullet arepart of the yami fan club..they are under strict orders from us to take out any fast seadoo's...

better watch out we are soooo close to closing a two year deal with dolphins....

I hit one last season. I was lucky that it hit the hood of my ski and not me. There were scales stuck under one of the hood bolts. It sure did scare the hell out of me.

Thread Information