Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: new guy

new guy

hey guys i just found this site and i love it. i've always wanted to get more involved in the performance of my ski rather than just minor tinkering. i have a 96 waveraider 760 with 56 hrs which i love and an 03 seadoo supercharged gtx. the raider has been sitting for about 3 years in a barn at my parents ranch and i really want to get it running again. it will crank with some effort but keeps fouling out one of the plugs. it revs up great on the trailer but as soon as it gets in the water it has no power(top speed 9 mph!!!)before i put it up i took it to the shop and he rebuilt the carbs, switched the carbs, changed spark plug wires and checked the impeller with no luck. if anyone knows what is going on please let me know. thanks in advance and great site!!

oh yeah i have been thinking of changing the comp. but dont want to spend the money if its not going to make a difference

Hey man welcome to the forum........3 years is a while, at the least pull the carbs and take a look inside before you do any thing, gummy gas is a bad thing, then you can start checking other things

Also check compression. You should have around 120 psi stock. Sometimes if a motor sits up for a while a ring can stick. If you pull the plugs out and pour a little 2 stroke oil in the cylinders then turn the motor over with the spark plugs out you may free up the rings.

+1
    Welcome to the forum!! There are plenty of great people here to help you out!

Sounds like a stuck or clogged fuel valve. I would pull the tank, clean everything and replace fuel lines with a high quality marine grade hose. Also a new oem filter and bypass the fuel valve. Even if thats not the problem it needs to be done anyway after sitting the long and the age of the ski.

thanks for the welcome and the ideas!!
    yeah i tried to get all the gas out of it before i put it in storage but i am planning on rebuilding the carbs just for good measure. i haven't tried to crank it or do anything to it as of yet, i'm just getting suggestions on what i shoud do. i will go ahead and replace all of the fuel lines but where is the fuel valve and you said to bypass it so i guess it's not needed?
    Last edited by AintStuck4x4; 04-30-2007 at 08:18 PM.

Duke is speaking of the fuel selector valve, located on the left side, ,they have a tendency to clog up, bypassing means to go from the tank straight to the carbs or fuel pump, while you are at it , swap your lines (at the tank), put the reserve line at the tank on the on , and put the on ,on the reserve, there is a longer tube on the reserve and it helps pull gas closer to the bottom, let us know how it goes

oh ok i feel like an idiot. i dont know what i was thinking. thanks for all the help i will do all of the above and let you guys know what happens. hopefullt it works. i've had that thing since i was 16 and i miss riding it. the seadoo is fast but ijust like riding that little thing better

4x4 ,dont think you are an idiot, just because you asked a question, I think that is what keeps most of us from asking all together, ask away,,if i dont know my training tells me to ask questions, and consult the Manual, NOTHING wrong with that , there are a ton of people here that have forgotten more than I know !!!!

+1
    No reason to feel like an idiot! I should have said selector valve.

What part of the country are you located?

Keep us posted on your findings.
    Last edited by Duke; 05-03-2007 at 07:21 AM.

i am located east of houston, tx. there used to be a dealership around here that sponsored a trip where a lot of us would get together and ride from east galveston island to lake charles, LA(lots of fun) but they don't do it anymore. the ski however is 6 hours north in a little town no one has probably ever heard of. i am going to try and talk my dad into bringing it home again so that i can fix it. does the fuel switch feed each carb seperately? or maybe if it is clogged it just isn't getting enough fuel to the other carb that causing the plug foul? i just like to understand what is going on sorry about all the questions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information