Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: oil question

oil question

hi guys...

i have a question about oil consumption...i have 2002 virage,with 46 hours on it.this is my first pwc so please bare with me.i took her out for the first time saturday and she ran great...but i did notice sometimes the speedometer did not always work.but my biggest concern(question was the oil guage.we ran it about 3 hours and the oil level did not drop 1 block on the guage(the fuel level did drop one block).when i got home i refilled the oil tank,and it took maybe a pint or so to refill her.i guess my question is how long does a tank of oil usually last? for some reason i thought it would go through a lot more oil..but like i said this my first pwc..thanks for any help.

+1
    It should use approx. 3.2 oz's per gallon of gas. That is based on a 40:1 mix ratio.

Matt, you might want to consider doing away with the oil injection and premixing the oil/gas. I also have a 2002 virage that I had to put a motor in because of a bad injector pump. Now I am premixing.

There are pro's and con's to both sides, but you can check it out and see what you think.

ax... so the engine blew on ya...ya i worried about the oil pump blowing on mine..what would i have to do to switch it to pre mix? take off the oil pump and block the openings at where the pump is and at the intake?

thanks

They make block off plates that you can purchase (around $20). I just took off my mag cover and removed the plastic pump drive bushing and left the pump in place to cover the hole. This way the pump is not turning when the engine is running.

I then got some vacuum caps at a local auto parts store to cover the nipples on the carb and oil pump. Zip ties work well to hold the caps in place.

After that I found a screw that fit into the oil line coming fron the tank and secured it with a hose clamp. This alows me to keep some oil in the tank so that the mdf doesn't send the ski into limp mode. (if you just drain the tank the gauge will show empty and will limit the rpms to around 3500.)

If you want, you can cut the wires for the oil sender coming from the mdf and add a resistor that will "fool" the gauge into thinking the tank is full. This will allow you to drain the tank.

You might also have to adjust the carb a little bit to compensate for the conversion.

The correct way would be to buy the block-off plate and use a resistor. I guess I'm just a bit too much hillbilly.

Good luc

I also lost a motor on my '02 Virage 700 around 70 hrs if I remember right. Although I am not sure if the Oil pump broke or if it was the hand tightspark plug in one hole that made it lean, I installed the block off on the new motor. I actually pulled the sending unit out of the oil tank (memory is bad but I do remember it was harder than expected) and put a hose clamp on it to keep the float in the full posistion and reinstalled. Still going strong with another 25+hours on new motor. So how come if everyone says this is the "best engine Polaris made" we've had problems......LOL? Actually out of the 5 Polaris I've owned this is the only one to suffer something major.

When I did have the Oil Injection I was also surprised that it did not use much oil even in comparison to my other older Polaris. I know for a fact that now I use alot more oil mixing at 40:1 without the injection hooked up. As far as your intermittant speedo.......at least it works some of the time! They seem to plug up easily. Open your hood and there is 2 small phillips head screws holding a black plastic access panel to the back of the speedo. Remove panel and pull off clear tube to speedo. Blow in that tube to back flush junk out. The pick up tube is in front of the impellor behind the intake grate. What you are blowing out should come out of there.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmatt View Post
    hi guys...

i have a question about oil consumption...i have 2002 virage,with 46 hours on it.this is my first pwc so please bare with me.i took her out for the first time saturday and she ran great...but my biggest concern(question was the oil guage.we ran it about 3 hours and the oil level did not drop 1 block on the guage(the fuel level did drop one block).when i got home i refilled the oil tank,and it took maybe a pint or so to refill her.i guess my question is how long does a tank of oil usually last? for some reason i thought it would go through a lot more oil..but like i said this my first pwc..thanks for any help.
    Keep in mind that it's variable rate as well. All that time spent idling and such uses even less than 40:1. After 3 hours of running great, you would know somethings up if it were. My Virage was a miser on oil and gas too.
    You will go through a ton of oil premixing, but if it makes you feel better, then by all means....

+1
    Even my Matrix with the 40's and stock oil injection system doesn't touch the oil. I always feel like I should be adding oil but nooooooooope.

guys...thanks for all the responses.. i''m going to give the pre mix some thought...does the oil pump crap out very much on these?

Matt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information