Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb Can't get tach to read signal properly!!

Ok. I have a PET-2500 tach. It worked great for a while. Then I installed some new handlebars and routed the tach wire up through the column. It didn't get a good reading (showed 10,000 RPMs etc) so I put it back where it was. It's still getting interference from somewhere..I've tried wrapping the wire around the red part of the spark plug wire, the black part, routed the tach wire down one side of the ski, then the other, then down the middle... nothing... I keep getting funky readings (at anything above 4k).

Any ideas?

+1
    Use a solid core or heavy stranded wire. Also wrap it around the black part of the #2 wire next to the CDI box. I have (2) this way and they work no problems.

+1
    Where it is wrapped around the plug wire make sure it isnt touching another plug wire anywhere. Also be sure it is grounded good.
    Last edited by mrbtd; 04-30-2007 at 12:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Lightbulb wire

I'm using copper wire that is the maximum gauge thickness that will fit inside the small hole on the tach. I also wrapped it around the black part of each wire 4 times and it has electrical tape too; it worked fine this way before not sure why not now..

so I'll try the middle wire.. and WFO are you running the rest of the wire up the sides of the ski or .. where? Thanks.

+1
    I did both of mine like this...

Tach mounted on glove box lid and wire runs under the lid into the compartment, down the drain hole in the bottom of the glove compartment, wrapped the wire twice around the left side "post" under the compartment, down the port side along with the main harness almost to the battery box, out and over and down to the #2 plug only, wrapped about 5 times and no tape.

gotcha, so your wire is running along the main wiring harness too then without interference... then over to the black part of the #2 wire. I'll redo mine this way and see what happens.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NateGP1300R View Post
    I'm using copper wire that is the maximum gauge thickness that will fit inside the small hole on the tach. I also wrapped it around the black part of each wire 4 times and it has electrical tape too; it worked fine this way before not sure why not now..

so I'll try the middle wire.. and WFO are you running the rest of the wire up the sides of the ski or .. where? Thanks.

When you say you wrapped around each wire 4 times you only wraped one spark plug wire right?

I have a commercial TT also and it has similar issues I have standard TT in other skis no problem at all

Just a H-20 HO....Need I say More! Mykull's Avatar
    Nate, Just buy a new ski!!!!! Did you ever figure out what happened to your missing sponson?? Will letcha know when we are headin out again. Later Mike

Question lol

mykull... lol.. no i think it's floating in the potomac somewhere! no worries, it's like a $15 part. tell me how much it is for the 250!! jk.

it's weird because it used to work fine before when i had it this way.

osidebill -- no, i had the wire wrapped around all three plug wires, near the box, on the black part. i'll try just the middle wire now, although i have tried the one wire method before and it didn't work either.

With my PET-2100DX, the only place I could get it to work was on the #2 wire by the spark plug boot. I tried by the box and got crazy readings. Just keep trying places, you'll find one that works.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information