Thread: Impeller screen

Impeller screen

Hi All,

I am a new member here and a new owner of a lightly pre-used 2006 sportster SCIC.

We used the boat in our local river this weekend and managed to suck up a small piece of wood (3/8 inch cylinder by 1 inch long) that jammed our impeller. I managed to poke it out and were were back on the water the next day ripping it up. We sucked in another piece of wood and when I felt it I hit the throttle and the pump spat it out.

I'd imagine this isn't the best thing for the pump, not to mention the reliability factor on the water.

Unfortunately the water in this area has quite a bit of wood due to the local logging industry. At the sacrifice of some top speed it would be nice to have some sort of chick wire type grate to restrict some smaller pieces of wood. Does anything like this exist?

Thx

impeller screen

Hello David, I have been having the same problem. With the water rising its washing small pieces of wood and weeds into the lake. I like to use the boat to cruise at times into coves and up small rivers and fish but every time I do I suck something up. I was thinking the same, maybe we could invent some type of screen that would clip onto the intake grate for those times. The only problem I see is that the whole thing would plug or cause so much cavitation that we could only barely move. I think I'm going to try it when I get a chance. Ron

That's definitely a DIY project. Just don't underestimate the the suction force of the pump. The old boats had "hydrosurge" grates, or more commonly referred to as hydrosuck, with more but thinner tines. The suction was enough to break off a tine and kill the pump. Perhaps the stock grate could have a couple of bars welded perpendicular to the existing ones?

Quote Originally Posted by VX1 View Post
    The suction was enough to break off a tine and kill the pump.

It wasn't the suction that was the problem with the hydrosurge it was a poor design and even more related to Inferior metel. These things have some serious section but not enough to rip metal tines off.

On the screen idea I doubt it would work for long. Weeds and other debris would clog it up so quick and all you'll do is cavitate.

sucks rocks

i put about 3/8 inch hailscreen on the intake of my 2007 gti seadoo, to keep from sucking up rocks at the river, didnt seem to notice performance issues, then i took it to the lake, and, the screen disappeared, i had 8 zip ties on it, im glad it didnt suck that up in it, cant imagine why it came off............im new to this sport............ive been having some probs with rocks in shallow river.........i was surprised this issue wasnt addressed in searchs i performed on the web........................thanks

Quote Originally Posted by likes97 View Post
    i put about 3/8 inch hailscreen on the intake of my 2007 gti seadoo, to keep from sucking up rocks at the river, didnt seem to notice performance issues, then i took it to the lake, and, the screen disappeared, i had 8 zip ties on it, im glad it didnt suck that up in it, cant imagine why it came off............im new to this sport............ive been having some probs with rocks in shallow river.........i was surprised this issue wasnt addressed in searchs i performed on the web........................thanks
    Well, we all know to stay in 3' or deeper water with our skis. That is recommended in the seadoo manuals. 5' or deeper if you are getting on it hard.

Quote Originally Posted by lafjax View Post
    Well, we all know to stay in 3' or deeper water with our skis. That is recommended in the seadoo manuals. 5' or deeper if you are getting on it hard.
    Rocks are one thing, floating debris is another especially when they are small bits you can't see.

How did you attach this wire mesh to your grate. What is Hail screen like?

zip tied

like everything else i own....................the mesh i put over my grate was galvanized about 3/8" squares, zip tied, 8 times, some deris will get stuck on it, most floating stuff mine will eat, but it will not eat rocks, guess i should of bought a supercharged one...........................i bought this 07 gti, no mirrors, on sale $5600+tax+fire ex+whistle+license+had an old trailer, took it to gas station, had to use a secnd credit card by this time...........by about my 4th trip out, i had sucked up a couple of rocks, ran it across jagged concrete that seem to last about 20 feet, i thought it was going down at that point, but just knocked a chunk of gel coat off the size of an orange, slapped some fibreglass on it, dug the chunks of concrete out of the pump, both sides.......runs grate thats my break in period........good luck

newest info on screening the grate attempts......

i put new wire before hitting the river today.........it peeled all down.......zip ties stayed on, but, screen folded and slid down grate.......and i did think i had lost some performance............i think i need something more rigid but malable........................next
    Last edited by likes97; 09-09-2007 at 09:37 PM.

Thread Information