Update on my grimlin!

So I was looking in my ski this afternoon while I was at home and I wondered how the power valves worked. So I was messing around with it and it looks like they were not opening up all the way! Whats the best way to set this?

The last that i remember there is a hole on the head and a hole on the
    rocker part or pivot that the shaft attaches to.....you need to line the
    holes up together.

Yes, there are 2 holes that you stick a pin thru to check if they are lined up. The cables run along the side of the hull and you will find the adjusters there. Pull the rubber boot cover off of the pv motor that sits under the glovebox area of the hull. This way you can check the slack in the cables. You should be able to move each cable around 2mm up and down at the pulley next to the pv motor do not make them too tight. Keep hitting the starter after you adjust to cycle the pv motor, then check the hole alignment on the pulley at the rear of the engine. Fercho has some great instructions somewhere on how to do it.

+1
    Assume nothing, check everything on the power valves ... just because the motor makes noise and the shafts appear to move means very little. I was missing rpms one spring on my 2000 GPR, but the PV motor was working and the shafts appeared to be rotating. Yeaaaaah ... after checking all kinds of other crap, I finally peeled back the rubber PV shaft/linkage covers and discovered the black plastic connectors had broken, but the rubber tubes kept me from seeing that. The shafts still moved, but the PVs did not ... there was too much crud built up in the PVs, they needed cleaning badly, were not moving, and the motor actually broke the plastic shaft couplers. *Edit* The first shaft (closest to the PV motor) was the only one moving.

Take the PV covers off, take everything apart, take the PVs out, clean them thoroughly and re-install. Upgrade to the better (non-plastic) clips and couplers ... THEN you should be good to go.
    Last edited by Vern; 05-01-2007 at 04:52 PM. Reason: mistake

Well I ordered the wave eater clips and middle things through Carl at Island Racing. I am also going to pull the power valves and clean them and check everything over. From what I can see on the power valve thing on top everything inside on mine is metal. Maybe this is a 1300 thing? I am also wanting on some VF3's so hopefully when I take her out next I will see a HUGE jump in RPM and MPH.

Were you able to clean the power valves? Was it a lot of trouble? How long did it take?

Quote Originally Posted by Mizelra View Post
    Were you able to clean the power valves? Was it a lot of trouble? How long did it take?
    I used a polishing end on my dremel and a scraper to take off all the gunk on the powervalves. I also put them in paint thinner to help break up the stuff. They turned out clean. I did it over a weeks times but im sure in an afternoon it could be done easy.

Thread Information