Dumb question or not

I gouged my wear ring prety good sucking up a rock. It only has about 20 hours on the ring and the clearance is perfect (except for the gouge). Would it work to fill the gouges with marine tex or JB weld and sand it smooth again to eliminate any cavitation the gouges might cause?

Also, I ordered a new rideplate insert and bolts since I broke a bolt off in mine. Is 5200 fast cure what you guys are using when you replace yours? I have a couple tubes of that already.

Just thinking of the easiest and quickest ways to fix this thing when Im ready to look at it again and I want to have all the parts here.

+1
    I used 5200 on mine! The bad thing about the aluminium brackets is they can have a piece of thread come loose and "lock the bolt up" I hate this and wish they where steel brackets! (I think jim uses steel ones??)

That explains it. I just couldnt think of what was causing the bolt to lock up. Then after a few cocktails last night I did'nt have the feel for what was to much torque.

As for the wear ring. I took a look and decided this will work and should work even for a worn wear ring.

Im going to rough sand and fill the inside with a thin layer of marine tex for metal or jb weld (havent decided which) I have both. Then use a friends cylinder hone that he uses for big diesel engines. If the stuff holds up it should give me a perfect fit all the way around and be easy to repair from here on out. It might even be a new mod.

If it doesnt work, no big deal I will just get a new one.

Like a chimp with a ball-peen hammer smackwave's Avatar
    +1
    Of the two, I think JB-Weld would adhere better since it's more fluid and more likely to make a good bond with the liner. However, that's a lot of pressure and vibration to put any epoxy through. I think you may as well order the new wear ring from boats.net sooner rather than later and consider the patch a temporary measure.

How's the prop? I have a Danafly 14/24 pitched by Carl if you want to give it a shot, or Dave at Impros is a miracle worker at fixing abused props.

+1
    I don't think anything is going to stick to the SS wear ring. At least for any period of time. Take some time off and put a new one in there since you have it all appart. Your just going to be scratching your head in a few weeks wondering where your speed went.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I don't think anything is going to stick to the SS wear ring. At least for any period of time. Take some time off and put a new one in there since you have it all appart. Your just going to be scratching your head in a few weeks wondering where your speed went.
    I would second that! A lost (or slow day)at the lake is not worth the little extra $$ and it will save you a ton of time in the long run!

+1
    I would personally replace that liner.

Thread Information