Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1999 Polaris Genesis 1200 "Sleeper" project

Welp, I finally got some pics of what I will be working with. I will be starting with a '99 Polaris Genesis "1200" carburated. I will be completing most of my mods during the cold season, but I will be saving up and purchasing most of the required parts until then, and doing the easy DIY task when I have time. A current list of planned mods so far is: 85MM pistons with 85MM rec ported cylinders; 92 Octane Domes; Tau Ceti 3.5" cone F/A; Watcon Recurved CDI and 6* wedge; undecided on carbs; undecided on impeller; still looking for intake grate and ride plate (let me know if you know of any). Here are a few "before" pics and I will be posting some "after" pics later on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0002.JPG 
Views:	2823 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	23273   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0004.JPG 
Views:	723 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	23274   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0006.JPG 
Views:	477 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	23275   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0008.JPG 
Views:	663 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	23276   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0019.JPG 
Views:	249 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	23277   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0013.JPG 
Views:	208 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	23278  

+1
    By any chance do you have a GPS number for your ride?
    This will be a saweeeet project, I like it!
    If you ever decide to get crazy I think a 1350 Big Bore would be AWESOME!!

I sure don't have any GPS numbers. I would really like to get some. How much does a decent GPS unit cost? If it is actually worth the investment to see what kind of increases I will be getting, I don't mind spending the money.

You really need to decide how much money you want to spend, as that will ultimately dictate what you can do. If it were my ski and I were going to keep a single pipe this is what I'd do if I were looking for top speed.

1. Group K bored carbs (if TxPro is right about yours being 38mm, you'd need to first buy a set of 40mm units from a Pro1200, SLX, or VirageTx).
    2. HSP 92 octane domes
    3. Limited curve CDI for 92 oct fuel
    4. 6 wedge
    5. Nu-jet 7.0 prop (may need to be re-bent for proper rpm)
    6. Ported cylinders. My opinion is to stay at stock bore size on these cylinders to give you room for repair if you squeak it. 85mm pistons are only going to be worth a few hp, as you're only going from 1165cc-1192cc. That is only a 3% gain in displacement, so figure no more than a 3% gain in HP.

These mods are going to get you the most bang for the buck. I'd also look into installing a "red pipe" from an SLX/SLTX/VirageTX/Pro1200. May or may not be doable in that boat and should give you a bit more peak power. I think the Geni has the log pipe?

+1
    Hand held GPS units are cheap.($50-$100 e-bay) I like Magellan because I have the map software. The sportrak map is a basic starter unit and it floats.

Well, I didn't realize that you could get GPS units for such a decent price. I have already searched and found a few auctions on eBay. I will be bidding on them, and going ahead and making the investment. Not to mention, there have been many times when I was riding saltwater, when I could have used a GPS unit. I just didn't realize you could get them for that cheap. Thanks beerdart.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

mods

your ski has the log manifold which is junk,replace it with the red pipe and better manifold,i've got both.you'll need a different waterbox any stock 1050 1200 would do.get a set of the 40mm carbs,they could be run stock.carbon tech light tension reeds,jet works flow control valve to clean up the takeoff,if you still want more then 92 domes and recurved cdi.6 wedge???never seen or heard of a ride plate for it.

Thanks TXPro1200! I thought I remembered reading that the carbs weren't true 40's. Should I get aftermarket 40's or is there a compatible model that I can pull them off of? Also, after doing some reading on them, I do plan on investing in the Jet Works flow control valve. If I can find a triple pipe set-up that will work, I would like to go with triple pipes. As I am under the impression that triple pipes are a great way to get more power from these engines. If it isn't too complicated of a question to answer, is there something wrong with my current water-box set-up, or would I just get more out of the other ones? More questions to come, I'm sure.

I am really trying to do all of my homework with what works and which mods compliment each other the best. As far as a budget goes, I haven't really made a definite decision. I mean, if mods didn't cost me anything, that would be fantastic. I am definately not itching to just spend money. On the other end of the spectrum, if they made a package that would make it run 100mph across the water safely and turn on a dime, and put a price tag of $7,000, I would be putting in tons of overtime for the next 6 months. Otherwise, I don't think I want to spend more than $3,500 if I am changing displacement, and $2,500 using the current displacement. Hope that helps clarify.

Oh, and I appreciate your advice, as well, PolarisNut. I am keeping a list of all possible combinations that people are giving me for future reference.

Quote Originally Posted by SCXtrmSnwNWtr View Post
    Should I get aftermarket 40's or is there a compatible model that I can pull them off of?
    Watcon is selling brand new 40mm Keihins from a Pro1200 for $350 I believe. They can be had cheaper used. Any of the 1200 skis have the carbs you need.

You could go aftermarket Mikuni carbs (possibly larger gain), but it's going to cost a ton and will be a headache. The Keihins are good on gas and will allow you to retain the stock oil injection system.

Banned User
    I'm curious why any would think this 1200 doesn't already have keihin 40/35's ?

Last I looked, the small bore 38's/psuedo 40's were on the pre 99 twins. At least the 99 SLH carbs I put on my 'cane were the same as my 99 SLX 40's. And not just the bodies also.

And, what are these odd carbs. 38/35's or 38/32's?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information