Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help, SLT 780 problem(s)

I have a 96 ploaris slt 780, Have had it for around five years, four years ago I had low compression in one cylinder, person fixing it suggested I have him install a primer to replace the factory choke for easier starting. Since then, the thing has gotten increasingly harder and harder to start. Once I get it started it runs excellent, just like new. I often run the battery down trying to start it and end up jump it with a boat battery. Last time I had it out it was more work to get it started than the fun I had on it once it was started. I have to pump the primer a dozen times to get a drop of fuel. My owners and shop manual are not much help on reinstalling the choke. Any thoughts on what the problem may be or tips on installing the choke/cable.
    Thanks in advance

+1
    tc, First I'd like to say WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!
    Love a Boss 429.

The first thing I would do is test to see if the primer is any good. It may have been an old one and it dried out or leaks.
    Check to see where he tapped into your fuel system and let us know.
    The primer when working and installed correctly will give MUCH faster starts than that of the choke.
    He did take the choke flaps out when he installed the primer correct?

hey, thanks a lot for replying so quickly, you can't beat mustang with a huge power plant under the hood. Anyway, I will definitely check out where it was tapped, the choke flaps still seem to be there, but when I move the thumb throttle they open and close. It may take a couple days to reply I am out of town until Thurs.
    thanks

+1
    O.K.if you can see the throttle plates moving, the choke flaps have been removed. So the primer nozzles are directed into the top of the carbs correct? Let us know what you find when you return.

I called my dad and had him take a look. The tap is in the fuel line on the right side of the ski, somewhere underneath the right leg. It is just a T in the fuel line. there is only one nozzle, which discharges into only one carb, the one in the front.

I have also heard that there are filter screens in the carbs, I was told these may be plugged, but then why does it run fine once it is started. If there are screens or filters in the carbs, how do I get to them to clean or replace.
    thanks

+1
    If you're having problems with it starting I wouldn't worry about the carbs at this point. When you inject the fuel from the primer it should start imediately.
    First I gotta tell you, I'd T the line and have fuel injecting into at LEAST 2 carbs. I personally inject into 3 carbs, more fuel, easier starts.
    With the flame arrestor off, pump the primer, how much fuel actually injects into the carburetor? It might be that the fuel is traveling back into the tank and it's taking you 5 pumps just to get fuel to the carbs.
    With the primer pump being 2 years old and only going to one carb, it might be time to replace it.
    Make sure the line they tapped is the reserve line and not the return.

I agree the single carb primer kit did nothing for me! primed all three and it made a big difference! Z

+1

Pump until you feel resistance

As others have said, a single carb primer is about worthless. Replumb the lines so you are injecting fuel into all 3 carbs.

The primer kit I installed on my ski (a '96 SLT780 by the way) will get siphoned out while the ski runs. I have to pump the primer several times and then it will get harder to pump. That's when I know that the piston in the pump has filled with fuel and I'm now shooting fuel to the carbs.

Fix the lines so all 3 carbs are getting prime. The next time out, pump the primer until you feel resistance, then pump it 3 more times and attempt to start. I'll bet when you do this it will get easier to start.

KJ

+1
    KJ, NIce to see you here at the Green Hulk Forums, WELCOME!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information