Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Unhappy RXP Supercharger failure coincidence or not?

I purchased my first ski on March 5. I went straight to the seadoo dealer to get the baddest machine on the water...RXP 215.... (I used to ride ski-doo's up north and loved them, that is why I went back to BRP for a Seadoo down here in Tampa).

I followed break-in procedures and up to 10 hours the ski was flawless. It was perfect, and even using the throttle at max 3/4 like the break-in procedures say, I was kicking everybody's ass on the water!

Then I took it to my dealer for the 10 hour service last Wednesday. While I was there, I even asked the dealer about the possible future supercharger issues and he said you can replace the washers and add a wastegate now, parts and labor at my charge or wait until it fails then they would do it, parts cost only, no labor charge, since they had to open it up anyway.

So I picked it up on Friday and took the ski out on the water Saturday afternoon for the first time after the service. Not even 5 minutes after I was on the water the ski felt sluggish, wouldnt go over 6300 rpm and 59 mph.

I took it back to the shore and brought it back to the dealer on Monday. At this point I thought: is this a coincidence or not? Right after I take it to a dealer the ski runs poorly? I have heard enough of the supercharger issues to know it could happen anytime....but right after the 10 hour service? I thought maybe the spark plugs, damaged impeller, or some other mistake during the service??

I told the dealer to call me and let me know what the problem is before they work on it (trust issue now). He called back today and said: "Supercharger shims broke, we need the ski for 3 weeks to repair."

Ok, I knew this was a possibility considering the symptoms, but I still question if it is a coincidence or not.

My questions are:

1. Is this a coincidence or not?
    2. What do I need to do to ensure the ski is repaired properly?
    3. Are these shims he is talking about the ceramic washers?
    4. If not, should I replace the washers and bearings anyway?
    5. What are the exact parts that they are going to replace now under warranty?
    6. What check should I personally do when picking up the ski and testing the ski on the water after this repair to ensure the work was done properly?
    7. Is this the only supercharged pwc (with the exception of the Ultra 250) there is? If not, do the others have steel washers and ceramic bearings?
    8. Wastegate? Is this really necessary?

I appreciate your input. thanks!

+1
    3. Yes, those are the ceramic washers that slip, break, and/or explode.
    4. Replace the washers and bearings. The metal washers are a must. $90 in Jerry's online store. The ceramic bearings are extra insurance for longer supercharger life span and a good idea if you don't mind spending the money (better to spend this $ now than a lot more later).
    5. There are supposed to replace everything related to the failure but often the dealer does an insufficient job and if you're not careful with keeping an eye on their service there's a good chance you'll be making a trip back to them for more warranty work a few weeks after you get your ski back.
    6. Check the supercharger yourself. There's a how-to on removing it. When you get to the water make sure you're turning max rpms (very clost to or exactly at 8100).
    7. Other than the KAWI 250 hp this is the only production PWC with a supercharger (besides the other Seadoo Models).
    8. If by wastegate you mean Blow Off Valve (BOV) then no, it's not necessary. Often there are boost leaks because of the BOV. There's about a 2 to 1 ratio when comparing those you don't run a blow off valve and those who do run one. I, along with many others, just don't like it and won't run one.

Not to say we told u sooooo, but that is the first thing u do when u buy the RXP is change out those washers. Two of my friends just bought new RXP's and I went and picked up there ski's and with a little help from a good mechanic (TurboTodd) we replaced them. Little do they know the aggravation we saved them.. I've heard that Seadoo has cut back on the parts they replace when these things go bad. They replace the washers and clean the filters and send them out instead of replacing all the needed parts..... So good luck!!!!

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    sorry to hear 'bout the issue.

I would bet it's just a coincidence.

Make sure they do ALL required work....posted here:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...t=supercharger

HTH
    sean

P.S. What dealer you using?

My ceramic washers blew up after 2hrs ride time, i have an 07 rxp. Its at the dealer still, they removed the motor replaced both oil pumps still waiting on relief valve for oil pump. If they are a decent dealer who knows what to do you should be fine, call in as well to make sure they are doing the job properly. If they get narky about you wanting to inspect their work then they are hiding something or taking shortcuts!! A decent tradesman will not have a problem with it, i dont when customers ask. Just my 2cents......

+1
    The dealer I am using is Westcoast powersports in Clearwater. I will call them often and stop by to see the progress. I will also ask them to send me a list of all the components they are replacing.
    If I order the steel washers from 4-tec, instead of getting the RIVA titanium coated steel washers that my dealer recommends, do you think they would void the warranty on the supercharger?

I say it's just coincidence.

Make sure they repair it right or you'll have problems down the road which won't be covered if it's not under warranty.

Good Luck!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sstaino View Post
    instead of getting the RIVA titanium coated steel washers that my dealer recommends, do you think they would void the warranty on the supercharger?
    RIVA is ditching the coated washers this month and going with bare metal washers

The coated ones slip way too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by sstaino View Post
    The dealer I am using is Westcoast powersports in Clearwater.
    BTW - Visited Clearwater last year and rented my first jet ski; beautiful place!

+1
    I called my dealer today and spoke to the service guy. He still recommends the blowoff valve ($199.00-RIVA). He said it is the only way to relieve pressure and resolve the washer issue. He admitted that it may leak, but he said it is the only way to resolve the real issue. He also said that if something goes wrong again in the future with the supercharger, Seadoo may not cover damage under warranty if I replaced the washers ($90.00) and bearings ($125.00). The blow off valve however would not affect warranty. He also said the Ultra 250 has a blow off valve like every supercharger should.

What do you guys think? Help! I need to call him back with my decision.....

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information