Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1

    99 Genesis keeps dying

    I have searched the site and found everything from coolant intake lines to stators to fuel vents. This ski will run fine for a half hour or so then die suddenly and abruptly. Then it will not respond to the start swith at all. If I remove the lanyard it will turn over at least. But put the lanyard back on and nothing. a few hours later (next day) will start right up as if nothing happened.
    I checked the thermostat/ pop off and it is all fine I think. Decided to leave all of it out as it is plenty warm here in Texas.
    What direction should I be looking? Can someone please help direct me here as I am lost.


  2. #2
    PolarisNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Lower Michigan
    Posts
    1,809
    Quote Originally Posted by brotherdon View Post
    I have searched the site and found everything from coolant intake lines to stators to fuel vents. This ski will run fine for a half hour or so then die suddenly and abruptly. Then it will not respond to the start swith at all. If I remove the lanyard it will turn over at least. But put the lanyard back on and nothing. a few hours later (next day) will start right up as if nothing happened.
    I checked the thermostat/ pop off and it is all fine I think. Decided to leave all of it out as it is plenty warm here in Texas.
    What direction should I be looking? Can someone please help direct me here as I am lost.
    Not sure why it's dying, but the "no crank" condition has to do with a service bulletin about a jumper in the electrical box. I believe the red/purple wire from the CDI needs to go to the orange terminal on the board. The CDI gets confused and still thinks the motor is running, so it will not let you restart the boat.

  3. #3
    ph2ocraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Campbell, Ca.
    Posts
    14,100
    +1
    105
    Nut, that update is for a non start when the boat is shut off (gas stop for example) and then will not re-start due to no spark.

    I think what I would want to know is after that 1/2 of riding and the engine shuts down, if the engine would rotate by hand and of course just how hot the cylinder(s) are.
    Small seizure maybe??

  4. #4

    the dying is most trivial

    I found the bulletin and will put the jumper in. Do you think it is necessary to order the polaris part number or just use some wire and crimps or something?
    When the bike dies it is like all electrical is lost except the MFI still has power. First time I accidently pulled the lanyard out and the symptoms appeared. Next day made a sharp left at high speed and it did the same thing. I was thinking coincedince on that. I certainly have no clue. The red LED at the top of the display had been blinking for a bit prior to the dying. I cannot hear any buzzer though. I was thinking overheating.
    If I leave the water line pop off completely out will it hurt anything? I do not see what the point of the thing is anyhow.

  5. #5
    ph2ocraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Campbell, Ca.
    Posts
    14,100
    +1
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by brotherdon View Post
    I found the bulletin and will put the jumper in. Do you think it is necessary to order the polaris part number or just use some wire and crimps or something?
    When the bike dies it is like all electrical is lost except the MFI still has power. First time I accidently pulled the lanyard out and the symptoms appeared. Next day made a sharp left at high speed and it did the same thing. I was thinking coincedince on that. I certainly have no clue. The red LED at the top of the display had been blinking for a bit prior to the dying. I cannot hear any buzzer though. I was thinking overheating.
    What else did the display say? I'm thinking overheat as well.
    If I leave the water line pop off completely out will it hurt anything? I do not see what the point of the thing is anyhow.
    You talking the pop off in the cooling bar?

  6. #6
    Yes. The cooling bar.
    The display did not say anything else. At least that I saw. Previous owner thought the lanyard had a short. I replaced it for funzies. Did not change anything.

  7. #7
    PolarisNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Lower Michigan
    Posts
    1,809
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    Nut, that update is for a non start when the boat is shut off (gas stop for example) and then will not re-start due to no spark.

    I think what I would want to know is after that 1/2 of riding and the engine shuts down, if the engine would rotate by hand and of course just how hot the cylinder(s) are.
    Small seizure maybe??
    He said when he pulls the lanyard, it cranks..plug the lanyard in and no crank. Definitely points to the jumper issue. If he said it just won't turn the motor, then I could see seizure as an issue. There definitely may be more than one issue here, but I'd get that jumper installed.

    brotherd-no, you don't need the Polaris part..you can make your own.

  8. #8
    ph2ocraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Campbell, Ca.
    Posts
    14,100
    +1
    105
    Could indeed be a couple of issues, I think I would go to the tech section and go through the testing the PVL system and also see about testing the start/stop switch etc.
    Remember to make your tests while your watercraft is in the failure mode.

  9. #9
    ph2ocraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Campbell, Ca.
    Posts
    14,100
    +1
    105
    I was thinking about this one while in a quick meeting.
    Something has to shut the engine down for the non start to take affect.
    With a blinking light (possible seizure) is a possibility.
    Hard left, famous for a lean running condition (possible seizure).
    It may also be a bad contact in the start/stop switch.
    The blinking lamp just keeps grabbing my attention.

    Just a thought or two.

  10. #10

    I will check those things.

    I appreciate the direction you guys have guided me thus far. It obviously is a a multiple problem. I will put the jumper in and check the PVL. I shall report my findings as soon as possible. stay tuned.

    Thank You guys!
    Don
    Gotta go a tornado is in my vicinity! Damn sometimes it sux to live in Dallas!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Bought a new to me 99 Genesis(carb) dies at certain rpms
    By PetroMan in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-16-2013, 08:32 PM
  2. Plug wires for 99 Genesis?
    By Dicedrop25 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-18-2007, 01:12 PM
  3. Electrical prob 99 genesis?
    By Dicedrop25 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-08-2007, 08:06 PM
  4. Oil Pump Question on 99 Genesis
    By VegasRatt in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-03-2007, 10:29 AM
  5. need 99 Genesis help! I'm at my wits end.
    By scottyboat in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-17-2007, 09:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •