2000 Genesis FFI questions

I have several jet skis but no Polaris (same with quads) anyway a friend just gave me a 4 seat Genesis fuel injected (has 6 hours on it) Its been in my yard for almost 3 years, I started it about a year ago (will not start now.

I have determined it has a bad fuel pump ( I wish I saw the one for sale on this forum before I ordered a new one).

I am trying to find out why my display is on all the time, is there a main battery kill? Can someone tell me how my dispaly functions? I tried Polaris (no help) I tried two dealers (no help) looking for an owners manual. One service manager went on for a while about what a POS the Genesis is and even for free I should have turned it down. Is it really that bad?

Thanks Paul
    Last edited by havasufun; 05-10-2007 at 06:09 PM.

+1
    Paul, sitting all those years the fuel probably has everything all gummed up. Did you measure injection pressure to the rail or out of the pump?

If you do decide to unload it let me know, I have a nicely built Domestic engine that will fit nicely in that hull and as luck would have it I'll be in Long beach in two weaks to visit my buddy Womack. I wouldn't mind a little extra travel to pick up the boat. wink, wink.

Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    Paul, sitting all those years the fuel probably has everything all gummed up. Did you measure injection pressure to the rail or out of the pump?

If you do decide to unload it let me know, I have a nicely built Domestic engine that will fit nicely in that hull and as luck would have it I'll be in Long beach in two weaks to visit my buddy Womack. I wouldn't mind a little extra travel to pick up the boat. wink, wink.

Hi once I comfirmed it was a fuel problem, I pulled the fuel lines (all three) from the tank. I put 12v directly to the pump and had no fuel flow out of the tank.. Then I pulled the pump, took the pump out of the pump assembly put 12 v directly to the carter pump, it spins inside but no flow. I was surprised there was no gum or varnish in the 12 gal of 3 year old gas. I did drain the tank and it was spotless inside. Also I added a little gas to the intakes and it started right up.

But I am still dumbfounded about the display and why its alwas on, I may just add a small battery dissconnect if I can't get some real info on this display system.

Thanks for the offer but I really want to see how this one rides, I live in Big Bear Lake, but plan to try it out at our place in Havasu.

Paul

+1
    Paul, the gauges are always live or they couldn't keep time. I just disconnect mine during "down" time. I don't like any of my MFD's subjected to a low cranking battery or spikes of any kind. When I know all is well, I plug the gauge back in.
    If you decide you don't like it, keep me in mind.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by havasufun View Post
    I have several jet skis but no Polaris (same with quads) anyway a friend just gave me a 4 seat Genesis fuel injected (has 6 hours on it) Its been in my yard for almost 3 years, I started it about a year ago (will not start now.

I have determined it has a bad fuel pump ( I wish I saw the one for sale on this forum before I ordered a new one).

I am trying to find out why my display is on all the time, is there a main battery kill? Can someone tell me how my dispaly functions? I tried Polaris (no help) I tried two dealers (no help) looking for an owners manual. One service manager went on for a while about what a POS the Genesis is and even for free I should have turned it down. Is it really that bad?

Thanks Paul

Well I just installed the new fuel pump, everything seems to be perfect (fired right up) it sounds great (it should with only a few hours on it).

I keep all my skis in Havasu (fresh water) this one is currently with me in Big Bear... In June I will be at Campland on the Bay in San Diego. I think I will try this one out down there. I should install a flush kit, where to buy? simple to install? which hose to cut? fire it up 1st then turn on the water supply for flushing?

Also whats the deal on pulling the battery on a Genesis?

Thanks Paul

Thread Information