Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar

Cover me i'm going in!

Man i'm so worried about doin this but i'm so tempted to do my internal mods myself. Nils gave me a really good deal when i talked to him on the phone the other day for parts a labor. JE pistons, oil restrictor, PTO gears,and labor for about $2000. With shipping it's gonna run me about $2500. So if i do this myself i could effectively save myself $1000. How many of you would have the balls to take on something like this with your baby? I'm really thinkin about it.

Re: Cover me i'm going in!

Quote Originally Posted by 01xdime
    Man i'm so worried about doin this but i'm so tempted to do my internal mods myself. Nils gave me a really good deal when i talked to him on the phone the other day for parts a labor. JE pistons, oil restrictor, PTO gears,and labor for about $2000. With shipping it's gonna run me about $2500. So if i do this myself i could effectively save myself $1000. How many of you would have the balls to take on something like this with your baby? I'm really thinkin about it.
    I gotta say that I was thinking like you and saving the cash. It looks and sounds simple, but, when you go out and something just isn't right, or you are a few mph's down from before, where do you look? Just forget to do one simple thing when you are putting it back together may put you in a situation of having to tear the whole thing apart again. And then, where do you look when tearing it down? Even going through the manual it makes it look easy, but, there are still way to many variables in there for me. If I remember correctly a while back when Jerry went into his motor his cam chain sprocket was off by a couple of teeth and not lined up so it affected his performance. When you look at that thing, it looks like you just put it right back in. I mean geeze, the thing is just a round sprocket. Mark and Nils seem to think that I could do it, but, I have concluded that I am not even gonna think about it. It's gonna be shipped. Best of luck to you if you do go for it.

+1
    No way would i do this myself and i have a pretty good mechanical background. Leave it to the experts!

Yeah i hear ya. The manual makes it look interesting to me. Nils gave me a good deal on labor too. I just wish i had the time to learn it so in the future i would be able to do stuff like that.

All you have to do is read the manual and take your time. Double and tripple check everything. It isn't that hard, just take your time.....this goes for any engine. If it is your first time in an engine then get someone who has rebuilt car engines to help you out.

I've done the car engine thing but there's a lot of different stuff in this ski and another big thing is not having enough time to do it. I like to sit down and go at it all at once. I'm still up in the air. The money saved and experience learned is making me want to go for it on my own.

dime spend the money and get it done right.......not saying that u can't do it but just to be on the safe side.....that way if somehting isn't right its not ur fault and they can fix it for u!

It would be a little different if it was a project that wassitting in your garage and you werent going to ride it until you were completely done with it, but this is somethin you will be on in acouple months and I know you dont want your shit torn apart while riding season is in full force...

Santa Monika, People's Republik of Kalifornia...
    +1
    Don't do it unless you're very skilled, because saving 1000$ could cost you a motor.

+1
    This is just a thought.

Looks like you have an 03 GTX-SC. If you want more speed, sell your boat and use the $2500 towards a new RXP or RXT. That is, unless you have a large sum of discretionary money to hemorrhage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information