Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    I build Horsepower
    +1

Sparkplug Thread.. Read this about Plugs

I thought i would start this thread to educate people about Spark plugs.

Some think that Sparkplugs add power (not true , they only support your tune-up). I want to show why and how a different plug is used other than stock.

Plugs need to be match to your application and Horsepower adders.

I will explain further if there is interest to understanding this concept.

Shawn

Definetly interested.
    Why are some plugs "Colder" than others.
    Why would you go from a stock NGK BR8ES to a BR7ES or even a BR9ES?

Honda has IMR9H .
    Are there colder or hotter plugs available for Honda?

I know the number dictates a cooler or hotter plug. But when would you need them?
    Last edited by HondaTurboGuy; 05-04-2007 at 09:48 PM.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21004

NGK's explanation in the last post on that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by HondaTurboGuy View Post
    Definetly interested.
    Why are some plugs "Colder" than others.
    Why would you go from a stock NGK BR8ES to a BR7ES or even a BR9ES?

Honda has IMR9H .
    Are there colder or hotter plugs available for Honda?

I know the number dictates a cooler or hotter plug. But when would you need them?
    Dude, the plugs you are talking about are the Sea-Doo 951 plugs for different mods of that engine, kinda off-topic here... LOL
    For the Honda, stick with the stock plug for the most of the available mods, IMO, but I might be mistaken, maybe I've missed something in the last couple of months...

I spent 13 years of my PWC life on DooDoo's. I realize they are not Honda plugs but it was just the best example I could use.

I imagine NGK has different iridium plugs for the Honda.

I build Horsepower
    +1
    First thing , we need to understand what a spark plug does.

To make a engine run you need 4 things. Fuel, Air, Compression and Ignition. The spark plugs job is too ignite the incoming charged mixture at the correct time after it is compressed in the cylinder.

The air and fuel are mixed and if Boosted (turbo/super charger) also this charge will be heated. This is called the intake charge temp.

The plug will have to fire this charged mixture but if the heat range is too hot it will pre-ignite this mixture and detonate the engine. (ping)

So by using a cooler heat range you can minimize this from happening. If the plug can not fire the charge then you will have misfire, and no power.

The Tip shape and placement is also very important to this controlling when the charge is started. I will post a few pictures later as to what the different tips and styles do, and explain why when adding High Boost (or other power adders) a retracted tip and cooler range is necessary in preventing detonation.

If you prevent detonation you can make more power with the given octane of fuel you are using. Always remember this !

More later.

sg

Nitro, please keep this going ...PR...

+1
    Nitro is right about matching the correct plug to your specific application.

Here is a good thread
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9496

I build Horsepower
    +1
    The Retraced tip plug like i use is used for racing and extensive mods. the tip is up into the plug and you can hardly see it. As a rule of thumb, the more the spark gap is exposed to the air/fuel mixture, the easier to initiate combustion. Which means the plug will act as a glow plug! and lead to detonation.

Most "racing" spark plugs are just colder heat ranges of the same street versions spark plug. Their internal construction is no different than there standard heat range equivalents. Racing spark plugs do not make more power in an engine, rather, they allow the engine to make more power Meaning, after all the engine modifications are done they help support added power.

Not all modifications would require the use of racing plugs.

Modifications that do not alter the overall compression ratio will not usually necessitate changing plug types or heat ranges in my opinion. These would include free-flowing air filter, water box mods etc. Such minor modifications will not significantly increase the amount of heat in the combustion chamber, hence, a plug change is not warranted.

But, modifications that introduce new fuel types or alter compression ratios such as turbo charging, supercharging (adding bigger than your stock one), nitrous oxide injection, modified cylinder heads or piston configurations, to name a few, generally require a change from stock spark plugs. This is because, with compression increase comes additional heat which requires a colder plug.

There’s a lot to be consider and I’m not going to be able to make you into a engine/tuner/builder guru on a message board but maybe this will put you one up on the next guy.

More later.

Shawn are there any gains to indexing plugs in our Aquatrax? Thank you!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information