Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Chine Walker

Carl rescues botched Wave-Eater coupler job

In my attempt to install the Wave-Eater couplers on the 1300, I encountered a very tight fit on cyl. 3 shaft. I started using sand paper to smooth out any burrs, but the coupler still wouldn't go in. Out comes the Dremel with a reamer bit and the job was done. Now the slot is to large and the coupler slides in freely creating enough rotational play to cause a delay to the other 2 PV's.
    Fast foward: stop by Carl @ Island and explain my Einstein move; Carl looks at me and shakes his head. There's a reason the fit is tight. Carl looks around the shop and out pops a new PV valve shaft with pulley wheel; I grap another coupler and go on my way.
    Carl's a great guy and is always willing to solve problems; no matter how stupid (me) they may be.
    I'll try not to f_ck this one up!
    Thanks again to Carl.
    Regards,
    J.P.

Damaged area:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shaft.jpg 
Views:	737 
Size:	660.8 KB 
ID:	23631  

Nothin' runs like a Deere IowanGPR's Avatar
    I found a very tight fit on the coupler. got them on after some patience and many numerous drops of the coupler in to the space between the motor and starter

Chine Walker
    Yeah, that happened to me. I ended up sticking a rag underneath to keep them, and the spring /washer, from falling to the bottom of the hull.
    One thing that was brought up, on another post, was the need to replace the seals if the shaft is removed. My motor has only 30 hrs on it, I wonder if this would still apply??

j.p.
    Last edited by jpa1300; 05-05-2007 at 12:01 AM.

I am in the middle of doing mine right now. I am just waiting on my stuff from Carl now. I yanked everything, so dirty, yamalube has got to go!

I'm looking to do the clips and couplers soon as well, the pic seems to put it somewhat in perspective considering I never popped off PV's ....

Dave

Nothin' runs like a Deere IowanGPR's Avatar
    it's not hard, very easy for the clips but couplers can be a little tough...but not hard to figure it out at all.

Ben

Chine Walker
    Just don't try what I did to make the couplers go into the slots easier. It's the short side that is tight. Wiggle and be persistent and don't try to open the gap by removing metal, or you'll be doing what I am; replacing the shaft!!!
    Now if I could get an answer about replacing the seals; I can't imagine them being worn on a 30hr motor, plus I cleaned the shaft very well, so carbon won't be pulled through the hole. ???

j.p.

+1
    don't worry about the seals unless they are visably damaged. The worst thing that can happen is a little oil drool around them. You won't screw your engine up. If you want new seals go for it. I've never replaced those seals and haven't had drool. If you tore the tight one up then replace. Visable damage!

+1
    don't worry about the seals unless they are visably damaged. The worst thing that can happen is a little oil drool around them. You won't screw your engine up. If you want new seals go for it. I've never replaced those seals and haven't had drool. If you tore the tight one up then replace. Visable damage!

Chine Walker
    Got the new shaft in and the seals were fine. The damn coupler won't lock into the short end; no matter how hard I push it won't go more than a 1/3 of the way in.
    I'm thinking of trashing these things and having the plastic/composite pieces duplicated in aluminum with a CNC machine. The original piece ia a better design; it just flexes more because of the material.
    I hate the damn coupler!!

j.p.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information