Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fuel question

Fuel question

I just un-screwed the fuel filter bottom part on my 01 xpl and the fuel that was left in there was yellow. I don't know if the whole tank is like that or if it is just that small portion. 1. Should I be O.K if the fuel was stabilized properly? 2. How do I prime the fuel system on my xpl? I need to now refill that fuel filter area and get the gas flowing through my carbs since I just removed and drained the gas from them to re-jet them.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    It can be yellow as long as it doesn't smell old. Since you stabilized you should be fine.

To prime: Remove the fuel return line off the carbs, install a phillips screwdriver in the hose and tighten the clamp. Remove the gas tank cap, and stick an air hose inside wrapped with a rag. Place a small cup, or a rag under the return hose barb at the carbs. Turn the gas on and slowly pressurize the tank. Pressurize then let off...the gas will be forced into the carbs, and when full, start dribbling out the return barb. Reconnect the hose and she'll fire right up...

+1
    Or just blow through the return line,
    SHOOTER

You can also fill the strainer back up and carefully screw it on and let the pump on the carbs do the rest. That's what I did...but, I like Shooters Idea...just don't suck..lol

you can leave everything connected and simply put a hose in the tank sealed with a damp rag and blow. you are only capable of blowing less than one PSI, but it will fill the carbs up with without damaging anything.

+1
    Hell, better yet, fog the motor though the spark plug holes, then with the plugs out, pull the throttle open and turn it over. Do this for about 5 to 8 seconds. Stop, wait about 10 seconds, then do it again. Replace your plugs, start it up. I've done a few like that.
    SHOOTER

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter98xpl View Post
    Hell, better yet, fog the motor though the spark plug holes, then with the plugs out, pull the throttle open and turn it over. Do this for about 5 to 8 seconds. Stop, wait about 10 seconds, then do it again. Replace your plugs, start it up. I've done a few like that.
    SHOOTER
    Your first idea is best. If it's sat for a long time it will have to run longer than two cycles to fill the fuel lines and the carbs.

+1
    Actually, my idea to him on the phone was much better than any advice we gave. He blew through the return line and it came back through the return line. Got to thinking, then I asked the famous question, hahaha, you ready for this one????? Is the valve switch on the ON position, answer: Oh ****, hahahahahahaha. He had the switch on OFF. He got his ski fired up. I've made that mistake several times. RQ remember the 95xp800 at Norris? hahahaha, dammit that was funny.
    SHOOTER

Quote Originally Posted by shooter98xpl View Post
    Actually, my idea to him on the phone was much better than any advice we gave. He blew through the return line and it came back through the return line. Got to thinking, then I asked the famous question, hahaha, you ready for this one????? Is the valve switch on the ON position, answer: Oh ****, hahahahahahaha. He had the switch on OFF. He got his ski fired up. I've made that mistake several times. RQ remember the 95xp800 at Norris? hahahaha, dammit that was funny.
    SHOOTER
    Yup, now thats something you want to kick yourself for. hahahaha. I'm just glad I got the ski running and it seems to be running great.

I am trying to start my 01 RXX and cant get any fuel at all to the carbs. when I pressurize the tank it just blows fuel out the overflow line(?) which is on the left side (sitting on the ski) of the ski underneath the glove box area.

I emptied the fuel filter and cleaned it out... and Ive been cranking it and cranking it and chokeing it and cannot get a drop of fuel to go the carbs... and my fuel filter doesnt have a drop of fuel in it!!!

(and the fuel switch is in the ON position)

Any Ideas or suggestions??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information