What Would Happen???

If you just unhooked the stock intake, added a silicone 90 hose and a big filter and removed the stock hose from the air box but left the box and the rectifier alone??

That's pretty much what other 4" intake owners did... you should see some rpm increase. If you go to full 4" you should definately find more rpms.

DO NOT DO THIS! that is what I did, and while the performance gain was substantial, the rectifier will likely overheat as mine did and throw a code, shortening your day at the lake since it was causing an overcharge condition. Also since you are leaving the rest of the intake alone the PCV system will leak oily residue into the intake tube eventually making a mess that will drip all over your boat. If you want to do it, stick the rectifier outside the box somewhere and make sure its secure, and either route the breather hose to the new intake or make a catch can.

I will be probably just get a nipple welded on my homemade intake and hook the breather there, instead of the catch can since I know if try to mount it anywhere it will probably break off like everything else that isnt attached in some permanent fashion. I have the worst luck with stuff flying or snapping off.

My chromeish plastic trim plate around the guages popped off on a bit of chop today and luckily i caught it as it was flying past my head. I never really thought my lake was that choppy but apparantly its enough to cause seats, grab handles, speaker grilles, trim panels, and battery trays to either break or fly off.

Whats what i thought and was wondering about.. i thought that the rectifier was being slightly cooled by the air being drawn past it in the air box. and i did see the hose coming off of the PCV that attaches to the intake hose..

Back to the drawing board..

I have created homemade intake Version 2 with a nipple for the breather, and have found a creative new way to mount the rectifier. IF it works I will snap a few pics to show people, though I must say the breather nipple didnt work out quite the way I had originally planned, I thought the piece of pipe I was using for the intake was steel of some kind, turns out its aluminum, so my intention to weld the nipple didnt fly so I had to get creative.

I've been running like this for 1.5 years and never had a problem with the rectifier overheating.

are you saying your running yours with the rectifier still inside the airbox with no airflow to it? If so mine didnt last one day like that, though perhaps its hotter here or some other factor, either way I wouldnt feel comfortable reccommending that to someone else based on my experience with it, had I left it alone it would have burned the rectifier up for sure and who knows what else.

Thread Information