My 2002 aquatrax f12 is cutting out

I just bought an 02 Honda Aquatrax F12 and going along and all of a sudden the warning light goes off and the oil light starts to blink. The engine was cutting out and could not give it any gas. I see oil light and of course kill the engine. I get towed to shore and checked oil and all was well. Fired it back up and ran great the rest of day. I took it in to the shop to get checked and they said all is good. So the second day I take it out ran good for half the day and all of a sudden it happens again. Then it got worse because it would just start to cut off totally in mid throttle. It usually fires right back up and 30 seconds later same thing, just dies. So I get towed back and half way back to shore I give her another try to start, she fires right back up, unhook and runs great the whole way back. I get home to rinse it out and won't start, then 5 minutes later fires right up and dies. I let it sit half hour and starts up and runs great while I flush the engine. This is my first jetski and I need help....... PLEASE.......

+1
    Welcome Ted.
    Didn't see any answers for you, so I bumped it up to the top again, in the hopes that some of the experienced Honda folks will chime in here.

Maybe a turbo oil issue???

02 Aquatrax F12

2002 F12, not the F12X, no turbo installed on this baby, I was told to stay away from the turbo so I did. Maybe I need one to fix it!!!

I build Horsepower
    +1
    Ted, pull the codes from the ECU and post what you found.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23968

Problem solved

ok guys, I just took it in and they originally said gas got in my oil and that this is NORMAL on the F12's when they sit?? and it made the oil level raise so the "too full sensor" was tripped and put it into warning mode and made it barely run...So how is this normal for gas to get in the oil?? Anyway if you could tell me that one...Compression test was good on engine and injectors. Oil change and filter....Problem solved right....NOPE!!! water test was not good as within 2 minutes in died again... two weeks in shop and I get some problem.. Take it somewhere else and they find low oil pressure sensor is clogged with some crap. Clean it out put in and runs like a champ.. yes till I hit some very large waves in the Gulf of Mexico. All of a sudden it does it again so I clean it out again and it ran great until some more waves.. I could not fix it in the water so limped it home, got back to shore and unplugged the sensor just to see if it would run unhooked cause I asked the mechanic and he said it would not run... Well guess what it starts right up and rips with no problem and in the waves... so do you guys think I need a new sensor or should I leave the stinking thing unplugged and finaly for once not breakdown....Anyone else with sensor problems???

I build Horsepower
    +1
    1) Its normal for fuel to dilute the oil. Honda uses the crankcase oil as a bubbler filter,. Due to emissions Honda routed the blow by gases back into the crankcase. There is NO documented problem with this.

2) There is NO too full oil sensor.. There is a High pressure Switch a Low pressure Switch and a (Oil temperature switch for the turbo only models)

3) The Oil sensors ground and that triggers the ECU to react. In your case if you unpluged the Low pressure switch then it would not matter because the ecu is looking for a "ground" for that sensor to trigger. in other words the ECU has no way of knowing you disconected it

If you have “crud” in the low pressure oil switch I would be concerned that the oil filter is coming apart and pumping crud in your engine.

Take it off and carefully cut it up and see how bad it is. If it looks bad like it fell apart you may want to pull the engine and disassemble and clean it.

I would consider a New dealer to work on your ski.

shawn

+1
    the correct response would be "thanks shawn , you mighta just saved me a few thousand"

if no crud found then the sensor problem is intermittant and yes i would buy another.

More intermittent problems

Thanks for the replies guys, I work too much to check responses every night so I wasn't ignoring your response or anything I just read this every couple days. Ok so I unplugged the low pressure sensor over the weekend and it ran great until I shut it off after about 15 minutes of riding. At this point it would not start almost like it was flooding. I gave it a couple minutes also I plugged the low pressure sensor back in thinking that computer was not registering oil pressure?? So I finally got it fired back up. All this time no oil light on at all, just the warning and battery light. I let it sit for 5 minutes and fired back up but would only run for maybe 200 yards at a time. It just cuts out and dies. Only warning light with the battery light, no oil light this time. The mechanic that worked on it told me he found a milky substance in the low pressure sensor. He said the thing may have been sunk at one time, and now the crud is coming up now. I have no idea where to go from here with this thing. As far as the filter coming apart I just replaced it so I doubt that is it. i am thinking salt water is giving me an electrical nightmare if it was indeed sunk at one time?? The shop also said the cluster has like a 20 second delay and isn't really functioning properly to read the ecu codes?? I am so ready to trade this thing in for a new Seadoo it isn't funny. If you have any other suggestions they would be appreciated. Thanks

I build Horsepower
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dav_dman View Post
    if no crud found then the sensor problem is intermittant and yes i would buy another.
    what he said

Thread Information