Question Newbie with 96 Polaris sl780 going slow

Hey everyone Im the new guy on the block! Last summer I rode my first ski at the end of August and was totally bitten by the bug. The following weekend I bought a 96 sl780 with 120 hrs on the clock. After taking it out 3-4 times I noticed that everyone was blowing right past me at the lake. So at the end of the season I parked and now I am ready to get her running right. I feel kinda dumb for buying something that wasnt working correctly. But I am new to this sport and didnt really know what i was buying. At the time I bought the ski everything on the mfd was working except for the gas gauge. It will only run around 35mph and only revs to 4100-4200 rpms. I need to fix this problem but im clueless as what needs to be done? Would replacing the fuel sending unit cure all my problems?? My polaris is all stock except that I just installed a oil pump block-off plate,new fuel pump and a different intake grate. Can someone please help me get this thing up to top speed. It sucks getting passed up by little snotty nose kids on the same ski's. Also what are the advantages if any to a extended ride plate that is 1.5 inches longer that the stock one?
    Thanks Lodough

+1
    780 WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!!
    I'd certainly start with testing the fuel float.
    Remove the sender unit and take the float out from the bottom of the sender.
    Drop it in some gasoline and see if she sinks or floats.
    If it sinks, replace it and re-install your sending unit.
    If it all goes well it will solve your "limiting" problem and give you some speed.

Here's the float number 2872860 but be sure to check the rest of the fuel system while you're at it. Fuel lines at the sender unit are problematic.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk. Ph20 turned you onto the most likely cause of your problem. Seriously consider replacing all your fuel hoses while you're at it. Hose will run you about $20.

Can I Bypass fuel sending unit??????

just wanted to say thanks the info and welcoming me here. Is there a way to bypass the sending unit without messing up the cdi box so that I can ride while waiting for parts? Also is it a good idea when replacing the fuel line to bypass the on-off fuel valve???

+1
    You can by-pass the fuel sender unit just as the oil level sender, get a 33 ohm resistor and install it between the 2 wires leading to the electrical box (from the sender unit, I think pink and black??). Be sure to use shrink tube so everything stays water tight.

Thread Information