Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Tested Extended Angle R&d Plate

I tested the plate that Bill and I have been working on. It is slower than the R&D with the Group K angle that is not extended. I tested the two plates back to back without using shims and using shims. The extended angle plate was about 1mph slower. The extended angle plate got me a best of 67.6 and the stock length plate got me a best of 68.5. I used two shims in the front of the extended plate when it hit 67.6. It can't be shimmed anymore without grinding the plate where it is touching the bottom steering nozzle bolt. The 68.5 run with the stock length plate was using two shims the same thickness that was used on the longer plate, with one more small shim. The stock plate can't be shimmed anymore either because it would no longer be flush with the step in the hull. If I grind the bosses down I can shim it so more and it won't hang down below the step in the hull.

My thinking on the longer angled plate would be that it would give it more lift because the angle is longer and would give the plate more leverage on the bow. So far this is not the case. Bill, any ideas?

+1
    I wanted to clarify that the longer plate was slower without shims as well, and the addition of the small shim I was able to add on the short plate is not what gave me the speed over the longer plate. For comparisons sake, last weekend without using the small shim on top of the two larger ones, I ran 68.2.

+1
    Brandon Bolt it up and get a picture of how close it sets to the steering nozzle. I am thinking we shorten it a bit and trim some off the rear pads to give it some more angle on the flat portion. Did it porpoise at all?

GpSleeper do you have any side by side comparison photos of the 2 plates. I would be interested in how far back the end of the plates meet the pump.
    I may be wrong about this but its just an observation. It would seem that in most cases when you lengthen the pump farther out past the end of the ride plate the faster the bikes seems to get. On the raider this is accomplished by going to a shorter ride plate. In effect extending the pump further out in the water from the last place that the boat rides on. On the newer bikes they are possibly accomplishing this with a 2 inch pump extension moving the pump further out into the water.
    Mabey the farther out the pump rides in the water the better. Just a thought

+1
    I will try and get some pics this afternoon. There is plenty of clearance between the steering nozzle bottom bolt when the plate is not shimmed, any more than two shims it hits the bolt.

It did not porpoise at all. I really dont think it is lifting anymore than it is with the shorter plate.

+1
    Have you got short stock plate not the long one I would be interested in #s from that.
    I think it will be slower.
    I have never tried a short stock plate.

Took out 3 rookies today got the 97 running good will GPS it next time out it has stock grate and plate beach house sponsons 0 deg nozle has a totaly different feel than the 99 with the 5 deg nozle R&D intake and plate.
    Hope to get some pics sent to me on Mon my friend has a severall thousand dollar camera and was taking some pics.
    I had to fight the urge to start wrenching on the 99 at the river its the first time I didnt wrench their this year.
    Was 64 deg with wind gusts and overcast the 3 rookies loved the 97 couldnt imagine it modiffied.

Get creative with that plate might want to taper it back or angle the sides make sure you keep a 90 deg or less on the back of the plate and no radius there nice and sharp.

Waiting on that 70 mph run.
    scotttttttttttt

+1
    Brandon,
    when you talk about spacers or shims I need to know thickness so I can get a clearer picture and actually calculate true angle.

Thick=
    Thin=

+1
    I will measure them this afternoon. It is around 5mm total, but I will give you exact numbers.

as O/SBILL said maybe try cutting it at the sides .. IMT this may acting as a suction and holding the ski to the water??? This is going to have to be a little at a time, I'd imagine...

+1
    [QUOTE=Flying Scotsman;275168]Have you got short stock plate not the long one I would be interested in #s from that.
    I think it will be slower.
    I have never tried a short stock plate.

The 99's came with the short stock plate, and the 98's I think. I have never tried one. It is similar to the Riva groovy short plate that was never popular.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information