Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Battery Question (Battery Switch)

I've got an 05 Sportster SCIC. My question is, do you leave the battery switch on or do you turn it off after each time taking the boat out? When I bought it, I was told that I should turn it off as it will be dead in a matter of hours. I recently took it in for service and they told me that wasnt right, that there was a short somewhere. Well when I got it back, the switch was on, and I went to put the key on and nothing. Charged the battery up and the beeps are back. So...do you leave the switch on or turn it off? How long should it last with the switch on and the boat not running? I'd especially like to hear from those of you that upgraded the stereo with an amp since it is pulling more current. I'm just wondering if they actually fixed the original problem.

I leave my '07 on, but I usually leave it hooked into a battery tender (www.batterytender.com, highly recommended). But, times when I've gone several days without being hooked into the tender, it's always had plenty of juice. I've got an upgraded stereo and speakers, but no amp (yet).

You know, in Florida, the heat kills batteries quickly. If you've got the original 2 1/2 year old battery, it might be time for a new one (then tender it, and you might get four or five years out of it).

-Scott

Thanks VX1. It may currently be the battery, I just wonder why it was doing it at the onset when the boat was new. It almost seems like a charging problem. I'm no expert, so I am holding off on buying a new battery and seeing if I can charge this one.

I charged it up to 12.23 volts, got the beeps, and hit the starter. Turned over about half a turn, then just clicked. Do you know what kind of volts you are getting off of yours when it is not running? I'm guessing mine should be more than 12.5.

I've had it with this boat, almost to the point of selling it! ONly had it out three times

Well, don't let just a battery issue ruin you're boating; batteries are cheap. I don't have anything that would tell me my voltage, but I know car batteries should be around 13v, so you're about on target. If the battery is old though, it won't keep that charge for long.

I thought you just recently bought this boat used, how do you know it was doing it when it was new? If you're talking about it has been doing it since you bought it used, I'd say a new battery will solve your problem. That boat could have been sitting there unused for months before you bought it, and that'd kill a battery.

The switch needs to be off when the boat is not in use, the battery will likely discharge in a matter of days, not hours though. If you check the parasitic load on the battery with switch on vs off you will see why, when calculated against the amp/hr rating of the battery. The gauges and radio will draw too much to allow leaving the battery switch on.

Don't get discouraged over a possible bad battery or just poor information from the dealer service department. Read the owners manual, get a shop manual and familiarize yourself with each system on the boat and read up on forums like this one, the more knowledge you acquire about your boat, the smoother your ownership experience will be.

Thats hog wash..

I have yet to turn my battery off... I leave it sit for 5-10 days at a time.. Ive had my boat out 4 times and it has worked flawlessly

That battery is HUGE for that boat.. Hell most cars have batterys half that size or less with twice the electical system..

The only thing on the boat that drains any voltage is the radio and thats only for memory.. it would take several weeks to kill a battery to the point where it wouldnt start..

If you battery is going dead in a matter of days, Take it to a reputable shop have them slow charge it over night and have it load tested!

Quote Originally Posted by welterracer View Post
    Thats hog wash..

I have yet to turn my battery off... I leave it sit for 5-10 days at a time.. Ive had my boat out 4 times and it has worked flawlessly

That battery is HUGE for that boat.. Hell most cars have batterys half that size or less with twice the electical system..

The only thing on the boat that drains any voltage is the radio and thats only for memory.. it would take several weeks to kill a battery to the point where it wouldnt start..

If you battery is going dead in a matter of days, Take it to a reputable shop have them slow charge it over night and have it load tested!
    Umm, no it's not "hog wash", if you knew the first thing about batteries, then you would know that the physical size of the battery has nothing to do with it's rating. The radio draws more amperage when the main power is connected, that is the entire reason for having a memory power wire, so that only enough amperage is drawn to keep the radio settings. The guages as I stated also draw amperage, but then you wouldn't know that since you obviously don't even know what a dvom is much less how to use one.

I suppose your ownership of your boat for less than a month and a whopping 4 outings makes you some type of expert now, why am I not surprised at the misinformation that you spew, since you are the same guy that thinks spark plugs magically make extra horsepower.

Oh, here's Optima's information on calculating battery life with load and capacity, but what do they know they only make batteries.

http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/amp_hours.asp

I do the same as VX1 , leave it switched on whilst using a battery tender

DUDE.. ive been an auto tech at a reputable shop for the past 13 years and have been in the auto feild for more than 16 years..

I test batterys and charging systems on a daily basis..

Take my opinion or dont take it.. but dont claim you know more about them then i do..

This isnt rocket science its a small jet boat with only the basic equipement.. hell cars are 100 times more complicated..

There is no way the voltage draw from the radio for the station memory when OFF is going to kill the battery in just a few days.. it would take several weeks..

as far as the sparkplug discussion goes.. You believe what you want and i will believe what i want.. (i agree to disagree) Im done arguing with you about it..

P.S. i havent checked the electrical schmatic of the boat, but i still wouldnt believe that the gauges would be drawing that much amperage when the boat isnt even running.. with the lanyard unpluged..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information