Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

96 polaris sl700 problems

Hi everyone,

A few years back I purchased a Polaris SL700 locally. Everything ran great the first year I had it.

Second year, pulled it out of storage, wouldn't crank or even begin to turn over or anything. I suspected the battery originally, but turns out it still had a charge. Some wiring had gone bad...not sure which wires...but some had. I opened the electrical box, ran 2 new wires from the solenoid, and put a toggle switch on the end of the wires where the starter button used to be. Cranked right up, revved fine out of water.

I decided to go drop it in the water and try it out. Cranked up fine. When I gave it some gas, it just died. It would still crank right back up, would even idle fine, but when I gave it any gas, it would die.

After talking to a few people about it, everyone seems to think it's a carb problem. I purchased a carb. rebuild kit last year, but never got a chance to put it in.

Just pulled it back out of storage today. Battery seems to have no charge. I've got my battery charger on it right now hoping the battery will charge up. If not, I suppose I will buy a new battery if anyone here believes it will be worth it and it still has some hope yet

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk. A new battery and rebuild the carbs, yes it's worth it.

Thanks xlint89,

Do you know if this has been a common problem with Polaris?

I was going to take this to the Polaris dealer...but the only one near here closed down a while back and have nowhere to take it

+1
    Hey mark, I'd also like to say welcome To the Green Hulk Forums!!

Also check the tank for old stale gas and make sure the fuel lines are in good shape as well. If you find bad gas at the bottom of the tank, I'd also have a look at the pump and go through the carbs. Don't forget the needle and seat.

+1
    Are you handy with a wrench? If you get a repair manual it'll walk you through it. No need for a mechanic to do it for you if you got some skill. And it'll save you some $$$. You'll need 1 rebuild kit per carb if it's the deluxe model, and the battery should be really easy. Like Ph20 said, new fuel hoses and rebuild the fuel pump while you're at it. If it's not integrated into the carb already.

+1
    I thought the 700 has two carbs in 96 and the pump is integrated BUT you wouldn't believe how many guys won't replace the diaphragm or clean the pump section.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    I thought the 700 has two carbs in 96 and the pump is integrated BUT you wouldn't believe how many guys won't replace the diaphragm or clean the pump section.
    You're right. I was looking at 97.

Thanks for the quick responses.

The tank does have some old gas still left in it. I've gotten all out that my siphon can get...I really don't want to have to pull the tank out completely to get all of it out...any other ways to ensure that all of the old gas is gone?

I was under the impression that one carb rebuild kit would do the job...hopefully I won't have to get another.

I've got a Clymer's manual at home...I'm just pretty dumb when it comes to watercraft. I can work on my Jeep blindfolded, but fuel system work is one thing I've never had to do, so this part is all new to me. Luckily, a friend of mine is a master when it comes to stuff like this, so I have a feeling this will all be done over at his house.

My apologies for the amount of questions I'm having, but you're the only ones I've found that actually know this stuff, and I've been looking around for a couple of years, sadly. I do have one more question. How hard is it to find batteries that will work in these? There isn't a Polaris dealer closeby here, so I'm trying to find the easiest way to get ahold of a new one.

Thanks in advance guys, you've been very helpful. Hopefully I'll have that thing out on the water this year!

+1
    Typical Yuasa battery you can get anywhere, check your local dirt bike/motorcycle/quad accessories house. YB16CL-B

+1
    Most auto parts places also carry them.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information