Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Help! High Rev Pro 785

So I just got back form going to pick up my ski for the summer. Had it in my brother's garage up north. Had to charge up the battery to get it fired up. By the way, that Krylon Fusion spray paint works great on plastic. Re-painted my grab bar and it came out awesome!! Only like 5 bucks a can, it's made for plastic. Tried it on my handle bar pad. Not so good, flakes off when you flex the foam. That is expected though.

I have not worked on jetskis that long. I just spend hours and hours reading on here learning. I can do anything explained to me, and I have learned so much from all the guys on here.

To the point... 2000 Pro 785...this started last year when I went to winterize it. My ski has the death rev. It will keep revving itself higher and higher when you start it. I read on another post this is sometimes caused by a whole somewhere causing you to suck in too much air. Looked at all my hoses and there are no holes I can see. After playing around with it I found I can keep the RPM's down by keeping it choked down, causing the valvles to stay almost closed. The vales underneath the air filter that is. When I take the choke off the valves come all the way open (perpendicular) and it starts to climb again. The valves only move when you play with the choke lever, they don't move at all when you play with the throttle. Normal or not?

This happened the first time last year when I winterized it and had it running out of the water on the hose. I have not taken it to the lake yet, but I will assume it will still just rev itself to death there also. I also read in another post, I think ph20craft said it, that if you give it gas while it is revving itself high like this it will bog down and die. Mine does not, it just revs up like normal then dropes down and continues its death rev. Also, it does not start itself at a high RPM. It will start up at 1200 and just keep climbing.

I am stumped, and bummed. If anyone has any help I would appreciate it. Got a dig camera and the ski is with me so I can take pics if that will help.

Thanks for any ideas!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by antoniodef View Post
    After playing around with it I found I can keep the RPM's down by keeping it choked down, causing the valvles to stay almost closed. The vales underneath the air filter that is. When I take the choke off the valves come all the way open (perpendicular) and it starts to climb again. The valves only move when you play with the choke lever, they don't move at all when you play with the throttle. Normal or not?
    Yeah the plates that you see moving are the choke plates, they move when you move the choke lever, and only when you move the choke lever. If you look further down the throat of the carb you will see the throttle plates, which of course open when you push the throttle, and are completely independent of the choke.

Does the ski run normal at all or is this an ongoing symptom that makes it so you cant run the ski?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Do you have an oil pump block off, or anything else capped off? You may have an air leak coming from a cracked cap or seal.

Sounds to me like you have a bad throttle return spring. Not keeping the bottom throttle plates closed.

After rereading your post I may be wrong. What dose the bottom set of butterflies do. Are they closed all the time. A little more info please. You may have a bad gasket.

No block off or anything. Does the ski run normal? Yeah, it starts and everything. Plugs look fine. Just revs really high. Rodneyae...I will go check right now and see if the "butterflies" below the valves move. I'll post in a minute.

Yep, they open and close when you move the throttle. They stay closed when you lett off the throttle and open when you pull the throttle.

Any other ides?
    Last edited by antoniodef; 05-06-2007 at 04:31 PM.

Would checking compression let you know if you have bad gasket? I assume you mean head gasket.

+1
    When was the last time the carbs were rebuilt? What is your pop-off set at and do the needle and seat hold pressure?

Bought the ski last summer, I never rebuilt them or had them done. If it was carbs wouldn't it have been gradual, not all of a sudden? 80 hours on it.

Should I rebuild them?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information