Thread: New to ski's

New to ski's

I recently bought a 07 1300r and a 06 FX HO (for the wife). I have a few general PWC questions, mainly concerning the 1300r. First, I forgot about checking the oil level in the 1300r and ran it until the oil light came on. I immediately rode it back the dock and checked the oil level. There was about an inch of visible oil left in the tank. The ownerís manual says that if you run the oil tank dry it needs to be purged. Does an inch of oil constitute a dry tank? Next, I have an aggressive riding style, I like to turn hard and throw the ski into a 180 or even a 360. Iíve noticed that these turns aerate the water and I lose a significant amount of acceleration recovering from maneuver. I believe this is cavitaion??? Is this style of riding detrimental to the ski? Should I change my style of riding? If not what are some good performance mods that will support this style of riding?

Thanks for the help, Wes

+1
    Welcome to the forum...

No on the oil tank - you should be ok. Those warning lights are very conservative.

A pump plug kit is to help eliminate cavitation. You will want to look up the Jetworks mod to improve your holeshot substansially.

You need to get the stock intake grate off of there and add a R&D 1200 intake this helps the handling at all speeds.

You can buy the Holeshot kit from Carl @ Island Racing. The intake grate and pump plug kit is available here @ the online store.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    I recently bought a 07 1300r and a 06 FX HO (for the wife). I have a few general PWC questions, mainly concerning the 1300r. First, I forgot about checking the oil level in the 1300r and ran it until the oil light came on. I immediately rode it back the dock and checked the oil level. There was about an inch of visible oil left in the tank. The ownerís manual says that if you run the oil tank dry it needs to be purged. Does an inch of oil constitute a dry tank? Next, I have an aggressive riding style, I like to turn hard and throw the ski into a 180 or even a 360. Iíve noticed that these turns aerate the water and I lose a significant amount of acceleration recovering from maneuver. I believe this is cavitaion??? Is this style of riding detrimental to the ski? Should I change my style of riding? If not what are some good performance mods that will support this style of riding?

Thanks for the help, Wes
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbtd View Post
    Welcome to the forum...

No on the oil tank - you should be ok. Those warning lights are very conservative.

A pump plug kit is to help eliminate cavitation. You will want to look up the Jetworks mod to improve your holeshot substansially.

You need to get the stock intake grate off of there and add a R&D 1200 intake this helps the handling at all speeds.

You can buy the Holeshot kit from Carl @ Island Racing. The intake grate and pump plug kit is available here @ the online store.
    Welcome Wes

Where are you located ?

He is right and you are probably OK with the oil. There is a bleeder screw to the right side front of the engine. Its just below the exhaust, on a chrome flat pedestal. There is a 10mm head with a screwdriver slot made into it.

Yes the cavitation is common with the GPRs, and installing the plug kit and properly sealing the shoe will help out a lot. In the long run it will keep you from burning up props and liners, and yield a better holeshot.

And yes putting a 1200 grate will help the handling as well as safety of your craft. As far as the spinning out the boat (and wave jumping), I worry about loading and unloading the pump tunnel. This could result in cracking the tunnel or worst case breaking a crankshaft. With that said, I personally haven't seen or heard of an EFI crank breaking yet. We have seen a lot of pump tunnels cracking, so a tunnel reinforcement is on the top of my first-things-to-do list.

The Jetworks mod is a great holeshot mod.

Do a search here on the forum, and you can read all about just about any modifications you may want to install on your new boat. If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me anytime.

Rich

+1
    welcome to the forum !

Thanks all

Thanks for all the infoÖIím currently stationed at Ft. Benning in Columbus GA. Iíve done some research online and figured these parts from R&D should be sufficient. I couldnít find the Pump Plug Kit that MRBTreferenced. Is a Plug kit the same as a Shoe seal kit? Are these basic mods that a layman with a service manual can install? Also, do these mods require any type of motor upgrade? Is the manufactured pump tunnel reinforcement worth the $$$, or is the fiberglass DIY project just as effective? I apologize for all the questions, Iím still learning J

Ride Plate
    Ride Plate Trim Pads
    Aquavein Grate Kit
    Pump Shoe seal kit
    Anti Cavitation Cone
    H20 Flow control Kit
    14/20 Dynafly Impeller
    5 Deg. 87mm Nozzle

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Thanks for all the info…I’m currently stationed at Ft. Benning in Columbus GA. I’ve done some research online and figured these parts from R&D should be sufficient. I couldn’t find the Pump Plug Kit that MRBTreferenced. Is a Plug kit the same as a Shoe seal kit? Yes it is Are these basic mods that a layman with a service manual can install? Pretty much so if you have some mechanical abilities Also, do these mods require any type of motor upgrade? Just the prop Is the manufactured pump tunnel reinforcement worth the $$$, or is the fiberglass DIY project just as effective? I prefer the R&D piece, but if done correctly the home job works well I apologize for all the questions, I’m still learning Thats what we are here for

Ride Plate - easy job
    Ride Plate Trim Pads - not really needed, unless you ride in really rough water
    Aquavein Grate Kit- yes, easy job 1200 grate
    Pump Shoe seal kit- requires removing the shoe and a proper re-seal
    Anti Cavitation Cone- not recommended
    H20 Flow control Kit- Jetworks kit, requireds some drilling and tapping, but not real hard
    14/20 Dynafly Impeller- not really needed. You need some motor work to turn it
    5 Deg. 87mm Nozzle- not really recommended or needed for your pump
    Dont forget about the D-plate. I would recommend the Riva D-plate as the opening is larger than the R&D.

Also Carl at Island racing has the complete Jetworks kit with all the hardware

http://www.hydrotoys.com/gpr/tuners/fernando/

Here you can read up on pump sealing (pump shoe) and flow control (Jetworks) install
    Last edited by WFO; 05-08-2007 at 01:57 PM.

+1
    Welcome to the forum Wes!

WFO has got you covered on your questions.

Let us know how everything turns out.

Thread Information