Thread: Advent Problems

Advent Problems

While I was riding this weekend my Advent was acting up. After I would stop it would not start for about 1 minute. All of a sudden the ski tried to start without me pressing the start button. The starter would not shut off no matter what I did. I could not un hook the battery cable because I did not have any tools. After 10 minutes it stopped. I was floating down the river with a dead ski. Jim (OU812) came to the rescue. I think my starter is fried now! I am almost positive the CDI controls the start / stop. The solenoid is working fine!

This is my second Advent after having a similar problem last year. Has anyone else had a similar problems recently?
    Last edited by OCFZR; 05-07-2007 at 04:45 PM.

+1
    Yup. Same exact problem. Sent it to Advent in September and still don't have a replacement! It is some sort of thermal failure they are having issues with. After talking to some of the other guys I have learned that only 1 in 3 actually work. It does no good to repeatedly call because there is a new excuse every week. Put the stock one in and go ride.

+1
    I carry my stock box and tools all the time. It saved me last year when my advent acted up on the river.

+1
    I don't think the CDI controls the starter

+1
    Damn tim, You oughta walk that ignition right in their shop & tell them your history with their modules & what had just happened to you this weekend & ask "how ya gonna act now?"

You guys, tim had his hands full! He's a big guy, anyone smaller would have had a mr. toads wild ride adventure for sure! 4-6 mph current in water ranging 2ft to 5 ft, nothing but rocks on the bottom & he had flip flops on!! Haha. I threw him a rope & he lassoed the handle bars & Watching him was like watching tonto trying to tame a stallion. There was much more drama too, Imagine this...this is drama at it's finest.

I see him floating & waving his hands, I get there & his starter is stuck. OK, but then, the current is taking him into a wall of large boulders on the bank & he just put his FF plate on so he was frantic & tossed his seat to save the ass end from slamming into the rocks, Good save! So now I toss him a rope, he lassoes the ski & gives me the other end & the weight & current it too much for me to hang on. He's now at the current's mercy! It was like a horse pulling at the reigns. So he's getting out in the open river & is in shallow water so I go to grab his seat which luckily was lodged in some weeds on the bank so he can sit while I tow him in....Haha, NOT AN EASY TASK! The dude was fighting the river & ski & it was too shallow for me to take my RXP in so I was doing fly by's trying to get a good angle & then finally tossed his seat to him & he got it on, Now, I need to get closer to grab the frikken rope! All this took about 15-20 minutes but seemed longer. Finally, a 1/2 mile down river, with an onlooker watching the fun from his house we get it hooked up. Yup, Good times!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by philip_gpr View Post
    I don't think the CDI controls the starter
    Talked to Greg Fisher at Advent about the problem and he knew exactly what it was. The CDI does control the starter and this is a common problem with them. I would never use one if it didn't make that much friggen power.

They also have a common problem with power valve cycling around 5000. Greg said they are working on that one too. Another overheating issue.

+1
    If you live close to thier business you would have an advantage. I live on the other coast and can only call. Once a week every week.

+1
    "If you live close to thier business you would have an advantage. I live on the other coast and can only call. Once a week every week"

You would think he would get tired of the calls and fix you up!

Thread Information