Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Jumper pack....Here we go. Jumper packs are only good at aiding the battery. For example if cranking the engine over it is at 9volts and you put the jumper pack on it is going to spin the starter over faster but the cdi will only see the 9volts that is remaining in the battery. Sure the battery is good at 9 volts but the CDi needs 10.5 or higher on its own.

Try this trick take your extra battery and take the neg and plug it to an engine gound and take the red or positve and put it to the Red Purple of the cdi hot lead. See if the unit starts my guess is yes.
    Why because you have 12 volts of pure good battery to power the cdi up even if the starter has the crappy battery turning the starter at the 9volts.

+1
    Negatory on that one!!
    Look, that's like saying when you use a jumper pack to jump you automobile battery it will not give enough extra juice to start the car.
    The jumper box (depending on how you hook it up) will ALWAYS give better than the dead or weak battery.
    WHY? I'm glad you asked.
    Always attach the positive from the jumper box to the positive post of the battery, this forms a direct link to the positive cable.
    Next attach your ground wire to that of the engine block or engine plate.
    You now have a direct connection from your battery pack to the ground and positive sides of the electrical system.

Attaching a fully charged jumper pack to a weak or dead battery can spell catastrophe!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by grantuk View Post
    I have had a jumper pack on it in the water under load and it still wont start, but will start with just the battery out of water.

I have measured the resistance of the exciter coils as per polaris manual, the second coil is an open circuit with infinite resistance which it shouldn't be.

I think this coil is bad, would this cause my starting problems?

thanks for the help.
    grantuck, how did you attach the jumper box? You could have a dirty or bad cable connection as well. Anything that will prevent or lessen the battery current from making it's way to the CDI will hinder your starting ability.
    If you are absolutely, totally positive you have enough CURRENT making its way to the system and it starts outside the water but not in it, I'd be looking towards the starter/bendix/bushing assembly as the next step.

Craft do you really read the packages before you buy it.

this is right from the vendor.
    "The Jump-N-Carry comes in 5 sizes: 400, 660, and 950.
    Also available is a 12/24 volt unit, and a 660 model with air compressor to inflate tires.

All Jump/N/Carry hand-held battery booster packs have DC port accessory outlet, volt gauge to indicate exact battery state of charge, high impact resistant polyethylene case - impervious to solvents and fuels, and can be stored in any position without leakage, heavy duty clamps."

Also they state..."What good is that cheaper jump starter if it won't start your car?
    The most important consideration when purchasing a jump starter is power. How much power is the jump starter getting to the battery? Many manufacturers only offer battery booster packs that have only 900 peak amps and maybe 200 cranking amps. That's not nearly enough for most passenger vehicles.

Then there's the inferior components. Many use #6 gauge cable or even smaller. Even if they used the largest battery in the world, if you're only using clamps rated for 250 cranking amps, that's all you're going to get at the clamps.
    The Jump-N-Carry uses only top quality components to assure you that you won't be let down when you need it most! If you want a jumpstarter / battery booster pack that won't break into ten different pieces after you drop it from two feet, you need a Jump N Carry.

They weren't made for professional use - they were made for consumer use. That is why you must compare apples to apples."

Noitce the WORDS BATTERY BOOSTER. If you have a Crap battery it is not going to make the existing battery any better. It will only aid to what part is drawaing the most amps. the cdi will not draw off the boost box like a starter. And most car Igntions only need 6volts for the ignition system to start. Thus a car battery that is low will still power the fuel pump because it is a motor like the starter and will draw amps from the boost box.
    Last edited by 4stroker; 05-08-2007 at 09:31 AM.

+1
    So what you're saying is if I remove the dead battery all together and install the jumper box in its place the craft will not start?
    If I remove the dead battery out of an automobile and install the battery pack, the vehicle will not start?
    I just want to make sure I have this correct before I show you the video of the booster pack ONLY stating my Matrix the (standard battery was dead after 4 years). You will see there is NO battery other than the booster pack attached to the cabling of the watercraft what-so-ever.

Maybe I should start getting you a list of ALL the guys/gals that have used a booster pack to start their craft when the battery wasn't up to the task?

if your dumb enough to do it that explains why your matrix blows up! What is your job for a living?????????? it appears not rocket scientist. I'm glad you love to heat up your charging coils......This might explain what happened to your 03msx 140 with the stator that took a dive. And may be the people are starting them out of the water with no load on the pump is going to be your next statement? Take one to the lake put it in the water put your boost pack on it start it up and put a vidio clip showing no battery in it we would love to see this.......
    Last edited by 4stroker; 05-08-2007 at 10:13 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 4stroker View Post
    if your dumb enough to do it that explains why your matrix blows up! What is your job for a living?????????? it appears not rocket scientist. I'm glad you love to heat up your charging coils......This might explain what happened to your 03msx 140 with the stator that took a dive. And may be the people are starting them out of the water with no load on the pump is going to be your next statement? Take one to the lake put it in the water put your boost pack on it start it up and put a vidio clip showing no battery in it we would love to see this.......
    So once again you make no sense. First you say the battery pack doesn't have the strength to even aid in starting and now you have it blowing the electrical out of a watercraft. Gooood.
    The stator never failed on the 03', nor was it ever jump started as an MSX 140.
    What do I do for a living?? Well let's see. I've been a certified Master Mechanic for roughly 30 years, Polaris certified technician as well, I own a number of auto related businesses and am the Service Manager of Auto Haus Los gatos.
    I guess in all fairness I should tell you, me expertise is electrical troubleshooting. You know the guy who diagnoses and repairs your soft top when it doesn't work or figures why the entire electrical fails after some knuckle-head installs a stereo.
    Your buddy Craig taught and trained me, so if I suck maybe you can have a word with him at the shake machine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 4stroker View Post
    If you have a Crap battery it is not going to make the existing battery any better.
    Again, you should learn to read what's actually written.
    I never stated anywhere that it made the battery any better than it was.

lets move this over to a new spot an not bark about this. PS craig got caught whith his hands in the bun machine he no longer works here. Sad to see. Besides why are you putting a junk battery in your matrix?

PS now I see in your matrix you cut it out an put a BIGGER BMC battery in it? should have just cut it out for that boost box. JK

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information