Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: S/C to a Turbo

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Salinas CA
    Posts
    451

    Wink S/C to a Turbo

    I`m looking to replace my S/C with a turbo.
    Less eng drag = more MPG and BHP
    Smaller unit = less weight = more MPG and MPH
    Higher boost = more BHP.
    More BHP = more MPH with more MPG.
    Less weight, more MPG, more BHP, more MPH = Spanking everyone around you...................
    I would be willing to bet a total of 300 BHP or more could be tapped into just by installing one with some tuning.
    Last edited by Big Red Monster; 05-08-2007 at 08:39 PM.


  2. #2
    allairch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    calif
    Posts
    131
    thats very true turbos are the way to go we run twin 88mm turbos on our outlaw 10.5 car 421ci sbc=2451hp with turbos

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    S. Florida
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Monster View Post
    I`m looking to replace my S/C with a turbo.
    Less eng drag = more MPG and BHP
    Smaller unit = less weight = more MPG and MPH
    Higher boost = more BHP.
    More BHP = more MPH with more MPG.
    Less weight, more MPG, more BHP, more MPH = Spanking everyone around you...................
    I would be willing to bet a total of 300 BHP or more could be tapped into just by installing one with some tuning.
    How feasable really is doing that? Is that a huge expense? I am sure we aren't talking about much less weight that will make any sort of difference will it?

    Curtis

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Salinas CA
    Posts
    451

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by cue03 View Post
    How feasable really is doing that? Is that a huge expense? I am sure we aren't talking about much less weight that will make any sort of difference will it?

    Curtis
    Probably not, but it would tap into more BHP just by reducing engine drag from the S/C for sure

  5. #5
    BR549's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    lake of ozarks
    Posts
    154
    start with lx instead of ultra less money no s/c to remove

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Salinas CA
    Posts
    451

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by BR549 View Post
    start with lx instead of ultra less money no s/c to remove
    No way. The X has the inter-cooler and all the plumbing. just remove the S/C and bolt in the Turbo. The system is also setup to run boost through the factory ECU.

  7. #7
    JD 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    4,186
    +1
    90
    u r right..........I am running a 450HP RXP Turbo that runs to 90mph in 5 sec.,,,,,....when I take the SC off my 15F and install a turbo.........It will crush my Turbo RXP............0 to 100mph in 5.5...........believe that, its coming.

  8. #8
    It will be more than just "bolt in the turbo charger". The hard part will be the exhaust system to and from the turbo. Fuel map will need to change also.

    A better option "may" be to switch to a belt driven centrifical super charger. That would be more "bolt on".
    Last edited by Super Jim; 05-09-2007 at 08:22 AM. Reason: option

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Salinas CA
    Posts
    451

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Super Jim View Post
    It will be more than just "bolt in the turbo charger". The hard part will be the exhaust system to and from the turbo. Fuel map will need to change also.

    A better option "may" be to switch to a belt driven centrifical super charger. That would be more "bolt on".
    My 250X has a belt driven S/C.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Odessa TX
    Posts
    7

    Turbo

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Monster View Post
    I`m looking to replace my S/C with a turbo.
    Less eng drag = more MPG and BHP
    Smaller unit = less weight = more MPG and MPH
    Higher boost = more BHP.
    More BHP = more MPH with more MPG.
    Less weight, more MPG, more BHP, more MPH = Spanking everyone around you...................
    I would be willing to bet a total of 300 BHP or more could be tapped into just by installing one with some tuning.
    I'm with you all the way

    The instant throttle response we have now...............will be a thing of the past though, and the weight savings I would question but the raw power potential of a turbo system cannot and will not be denied.

    Fortunately we have 4 cylinders to spread the load out a little better and I will predict someone will be in the 600 HP range by the end of next year.

    Remember when a 150Hp watercraft was amazing?

    Turbos Rule

    (well....short of Nitro)

    JDB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-16-2012, 08:18 AM
  2. oil cooler to 250x turbo from dyno-racing
    By naor avital in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 12-16-2009, 02:58 AM
  3. What is needed to go turbo?
    By palmbeach jesse in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 08-23-2009, 05:46 AM
  4. What do i need to run turbo??
    By daredevil828 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-24-2008, 06:31 PM
  5. ?? How to intercooler / turbo / air intake ??
    By danieletrono in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-27-2008, 10:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •