Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dead hour meter on '97 GTX

New guy with what seems to be a pretty unusual problem.

I bought a '96 GSX and a '97 GTX as project boats. The GSX ran good on the trailer but it has a broken sponson and I later found that it had a bad rectifier. But I already have a GSXL so the GSX became a donor which has a leaky crank seal and a few other problems.

The problem that has me stumped is the fact that the hour meter is reading 4 dashes while everything else on the "info" gauge seems fine. Any ideas? I have tried disconnecting the compass but no change. I attempted to install the gray box from the GSX in the GTX but SD, for some reason, decided to install a different DESS connection on the GTX. My next step is to pull the hood off the GSX and see if its info gauge shows the same on the hours. But if anybody has any other ideas, let me know.

thanks,
    K

+1
    try swapping the compass out. just disconnecting it won't help. went through this on a friends ski after swapping mpems, gauge clusters, etc.

+1
    Are you the one that posted over Sea-doo.net? JayZ helped me with mine last year. I couldn't remember if we had to swap out the compass all together or if we got results with just disconnecting it. If you can find a friend with the same ski, borrow his compass.

Mike

I am the guy from SD.N. And so far I have only tried with the compass disconnected. I wonder if anyone might be parting out a GTX 'cause I don't know anyone else that has an SD with a compass.

Does some setting have to be changed to enable/disable the compass input? While messing around with the hood from a '96 GSX I noticed that it has the connection for a compass. Could I connect this compass to the GSX gauge and see if it takes out the hour meter? Or is that dangerous for the MPEM? I'd rather run without an hour meter then really screw something up.

Thanks for the help.

+1
    I wouldn't mess around with the GSX. JayZ and I both sold our GTX's or we could have lent you ours for testing. I would post for a used one on all the sites if you can't find a friend to lend you one. Or you could buy a new one for $135. My gauge was going completely crazy so I am not 100% sure that this is your problem.

+1
    mike, from what i remember, we swapped everything under the sun out and the gauge didn't work properly until you put the new compass in.

+1
    I never ran into this problem before, but is it possible that the hour meter has an aux battery that provides power for it's memory like those used on computers for time/date?? Can't find any mention of it in the shop manual though.

Richard

Replacement compass is on the way so we will see soon. Either way, thanks for the help.

+1
    Keep us updated. Hopefully that is your problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information