Exhaust pipe leaking

Hi all, I have an 03 MSX 140 with 170+ hours on it and got it out last week for 1st ride of the season. Ran great but I took the seat off after stopping at a beach and there's about 3" of water in the bottom and its wet all over the PTO cylinder and backend of the ski. I took the seat off and ran it and there's water spraying out of the exhaust pipe near the sharp bow in the pipe when I accelerate . I ran it on the hose when I get back to the cabin and it spits a little out just above the rear manifold bolt. I think I have a cracked water jacket on the (stinger?) pipe and was wondering what are the causes and how I can fix the crack. Water spraying all over the inside can't be good. Please !!! Thanks

+1
    msx, WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums.
    Do you live in an extrememly cold climate? Maybe it cracked in the freeze?
    Can you physically see a crack in the pipe?
    Is it possible the bolt at top is just loose?
    A photo would probably really help here.

I certainly wouldn't run mine with a water leak, the last thing you want to do is compound your problem.

Thanks Ph2ocraft, yes I live in Minnesota and although I store it in a garage in the winter, it is unheated. I also pour half a jug of RV antifreeze into it before it's shut down for the season but I guess it could have froze anyway.
    I don't have a picture but will try to get one when I go to my cabin this weekend. I can't see a crack but can see where it's spitting from. The bolt doesn't appear to be loose, I cranked for all I was worth and couldn't budge it and the water isn't coming from the bolt, it's coming from about a 1/2" to the side of the bolt.
    I don't know whether it is common for these to crack there because of the stress (that 1 bolt supports the biggest part of the pipe ) or that is a spot where the antifreeze can't/didn't reach. I assume that it is a waterjacketed pipe as I don't see any exhaust coming from the leak site.
    I don't know whether it can be fixed with the pipe on the ski or if it would have to be removed (possibly welded?). I don't want to spend 6-700$ on a new one and the weather and the water is warming up so any suggestions would be appreciated (sorry so long). Thanks guys!

P.S. I can't seem to attach a diagram of where the leak is coming from, I will try again later.
    Last edited by msxplorer; 05-10-2007 at 02:45 AM. Reason: to insert attachment

+1
    The engine drain is automatic, however, the exhaust system needs to be drained. Ususally ,firing it up and a few short revs will remove enough so it won't freeze.

Another thing to remember with the liquid cooled mag cover and liquid cooled EMM, is that the MSX should be stored at a 10* noseup, allowing the water to drain.

Show us where it's leaking....

+1
    And if it is indeed cracked and you don't want to have it welded I just happen to have another one with ZERO hours on it. Sorry Artie I gave you the one with 50 or so hours on it. LOL

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    Sorry Artie I gave you the one with 50 or so hours on it. LOL
    Oh well.... stuff happens!!!!

or you could sell it 2 me

Thanks for the advice guys, I do rev the ski a few times after it's out of the water to drain the exhaust but I didn't know it should have the nose up ten degrees. I'll do that from now on.
    Just wondering if, because of the location, if the leak could be a stress crack? Here is the location of the leak (see arrow).

Anyone have any ideas??
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by msxplorer; 05-15-2007 at 02:24 AM.

Thanks for the offer Ph2ocraft, I have put some plummers adhesive in the area where the leak is and it may have done the job. It was dry after my last ride last weekend so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully it is not a stress crack and open up again. I will check it out further this weekend.

Thread Information