Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

01 Virage Tx NO GO :(

Hey guys, I'm a newb to jetkis so to this forum, so please no flamming. I have 01 polaris virage tx with the direct injection and 88hrs. It was purchased at the auction, has a little crack on the bottom, it starts and runs, except it only goes like 5mph, it revs on the trailer, but in the water it just doesnt go. Checked the TPS with the voltmeter, it seems to be ok, compression is good, My only guess is fuel pump is out of order, the guy at the dealer said fuel pressure should be around 20-30psi, when it was running, the gauge was at 0 psi, but again I did that with the tire pressure gauge, (had nothing else to do it with.) The other thing is when it got hit on the side, it was flooded, not sure how much, but maybe the computer got wet? Reverse Also doesnt work.
    Since it was stored for like 2 years, I'm going to change Oil, spark plugs, also the guy told me to put sea foam cleaner into tank, to clean up the injectors, is that a good idea, any other ideas? Please somebody help me, any input is appreciated.

+1
    vinardas, WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!!

Since you have no idea what has happened to the engine internally might I suggest having the compression and crank indexing checked.
    It might be that the engine flooded with water and when somebody tried to start it, they bent a rod or took the engine out of phase.
    It's probably a good idea to split the electrical box and see if you have water there as well.
    Any signs of the water level (a ring) around the hull to indicate the water level when it was submerged?

Thank You for the input, When I'll get home, I will make some pictures to have a better Idea, also by saying crank indexing, you mean taking the engine out and see if there's no rust or mechanical damages inside?

+1
    Vinardas
    Sounds like a project .where you flammed elseware ?
    When you say it revs on the trailer is it resposive ? Does it rev high when its in the water but only do 5mph?or does it just sit there and bog ?
    Not the best way to test the TPS on these things.Let us know more and we can help the same

Bernie

Welcome to the HULK!!!!! Check the fuel sharer valve with a tire pressure gauge is going to show a reading of 0 psi, as it takes a special gauge and fittings to test the fuel pressure port. Yes, you have an issue somewhere. But I would start with the basics like Al (ph20) said. If you need some help let us know there are some really great Polaris guys here. Im a 2 stroke fuji engine man myself, but the guys here will help you. No one will flame here, lord knows I have asked some really dumb questions.

R

+1
    Rodneyae
    Yes you can I have .Its a schraeder type valve which is the same as a tyre .I have used a tyre gauge but it won't work the next day.the fuel ruins the rubbers .These things will run with very little fuel pressure .It only needs to supply fuel to the front of actuator in the Injector .If it was running but leaning out up the top I would look at fuel pressure .Have had all of my 5 Injected ski's at one stage have no regulator on the fuel return because they fell out ,hence no "real" fuel pressure at alll .They still start still run ok untill you get a hot day or load them up a bit and they will lean out and usually burn a piston from exhaust side .
    Vinardas
    Is it cavitating ?.has the crack on the side gone through to the jet unit ?
    Is the prop mangled up ?Is the seal between the hull and the driveshaft leaking bad ?

More info please ?We can help but write every thing down that happens it nay not mean anything to you but it can help our unseen diagnosis.
    Even pictures we like them
    cheers

Bernie

ok guys, finally got a chance to make some pictures:

this hose comes out of front and I guess it has to be connected to something, not sure what...

ok I found a 2-pin connector, wasn't able to see what is disconnected, or where it goes to, any ideas? it goes below the shaft

Here is few pictures to get an Idea of inside condition, doesn't seem that it was flooded, but who knows, computer seems to be dry.

the jet

here's the crack, I guess that will not be a big problem to fix this

I took of the TPS sensor to check it it goes from 1kOHM to 8kOHM, maybe thats the problem? but it seems that it responds, should i run volts through it, to see what it shows?

Am I missing anything in here below? would make sense that something should be, maybe thats the spots for the carbs?

Ok so I started it up, tried to rev it, it revs a bit and then bogs out, just doesnt want to rev, like it would need a choke, maybe thats because that engine is still cold? i didnt want to run it for more than 10secs, should I hook up the hose warm it up, and see what it does?
    Last edited by vinardas; 05-19-2007 at 11:47 AM.

I'm feeling naturally aspirated today pirate33's Avatar
    +1
    Since it look like most of the tech'y guys must be out on the ski's till they get back-here my take

There is two clear tubes in the rear of the TX's, in picture #2 that one will go to the battery and the other should be hooked up to the speedometer pick-up fitting under the drive shaft which I can't see in the picture

Since you have a TXi and the electrical box is different from the TX that connector(which should be two wires-one black and one red)which looks like it is blocked off on your ski would go to the bilge pump on the TX

Well don't know what to say, my 01 I bought new in 02 has been running fine till now, minor problem but wish you luck, cause mine lasted 5yrs my compresion is 140 on all 3 cyls, took her out today and ran 63.4, and lost mph from my bearing support being worn and leaking water (a little) there she is on the right.
    Quote Originally Posted by vinardas View Post
    Hey guys, I'm a newb to jetkis so to this forum, so please no flamming. I have 01 polaris virage tx with the direct injection and 88hrs. It was purchased at the auction, has a little crack on the bottom, it starts and runs, except it only goes like 5mph, it revs on the trailer, but in the water it just doesnt go. Checked the TPS with the voltmeter, it seems to be ok, compression is good, My only guess is fuel pump is out of order, the guy at the dealer said fuel pressure should be around 20-30psi, when it was running, the gauge was at 0 psi, but again I did that with the tire pressure gauge, (had nothing else to do it with.) The other thing is when it got hit on the side, it was flooded, not sure how much, but maybe the computer got wet? Reverse Also doesnt work.
    Since it was stored for like 2 years, I'm going to change Oil, spark plugs, also the guy told me to put sea foam cleaner into tank, to clean up the injectors, is that a good idea, any other ideas? Please somebody help me, any input is appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 016.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	617.0 KB 
ID:	25307  

+1
    Can you get another picture of the intake area?
    Are there any breaks or cracks in that area as well?
    You state it revs on the trailer. When it's in the water and you accelerate you only get 5 MPH BUT what RPM's is the engine turning?
    Does it sound like it could be cavitating?
    I've seen plenty where the shoe was loose and/or unglued from a good hit, maybe a crack in the hull near the shoe??

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information