Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Twist Throttle anyone?

My only real complaint about the Ultra is that my right hand
    goes to sleep holding onto handle and pulling throttle trigger.
    I much prefer the SeaDoo thumb throttle.

Has anyone ever put a twist throttle on it like a motocyle? Would
    it be that difficult? Could you put a SD thumb throttle on it?

I'd like cruise control but I guess safety reasons rule that one out.
    I did see on the SD forum where a guy had several washers he just
    put on throttle to get different speeds.....

Here's a previous post I made about a very simple rubber wedge type cruise control:
    http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.p...rol#post693810

Regarding twist throttles, I have a spare dual-gasser system (thumb and twist combined) (http://terrycable.com/throttles.htm) which I bought originally for the `07 grizzly 700. Unfortunately, I found out too late that it would require the removal of essential electronic attachments on the atv's handlebar. I am now planning to install the kit on the 250X just to test if it would fit or even work. No idea if it would even last in a salt-water environment. WOuld let you know soon.

Mitch

Interesting... I would like to hear the outcome on this.

+1
    Being a streetbike rider, I tried this some time ago. It made sense to me. If all you do is sit on the sit, and cruise, it works out pretty well.

If you get in the rough, off camber situations, you find yourself off the seat a bunch, and not having the right hand to provide support becomes rather un-nerving....

but hey, if it works for you, go for it. Just remember... most folks can no longer ride your ski, because if they make that rookie motorcycle error, and wrap up the throttle, they will be running that 1000lb missle into the side of something.

+1
    Are you rigging up a double cable, or just the single one to match a stock ultra?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch ochoa View Post
    Here's a previous post I made about a very simple rubber wedge type cruise control:
    http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.p...rol#post693810

Regarding twist throttles, I have a spare dual-gasser system (thumb and twist combined) (http://terrycable.com/throttles.htm) which I bought originally for the `07 grizzly 700. Unfortunately, I found out too late that it would require the removal of essential electronic attachments on the atv's handlebar. I am now planning to install the kit on the 250X just to test if it would fit or even work. No idea if it would even last in a salt-water environment. WOuld let you know soon.

Mitch

I have been using a wedge cut out of a 3/8" fuel hose (string goes thru the middle) for several years on a few skis. It really works well to prevent finger "death" on long cruises. It can be adjusted for practically any desired RPM. Also good for those idle speed zones where the normal ski idle is too slow. However, using the wedge can be hazardous !! When tied to a string attached to the bars it flaps around a bit when not in use. On two occasions it wedged itself between the throttle lever when running wide open. Scary feeling when you let off and the ski continues to run WOT !! I removed it because of this...if it happened to someone using the ski who wasn't familiar with it the results could be disasterous.

Richard

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    Thumb sounds cool. My buddy with his ultra blue indicated some discomfort too. Thumb sounds appealing. Anyone here a dealer that could check out an ATV for us to see if the action and lenght of pull is similar??

Cables are easy to get and one major mfg is very near here......can't remember name off the top....it's been awhile since i needed a specialized cable. Heck, we might not need a new cable if it's a Kawi.

+1

Thumb?

I have owned SEADOO'S for years & all the people I rode with had them too. Everybody bitched about the thumb throttle & some of us switched to billet aluminum finger throttles. It seems to me either one cause fatigue, The finger throttle seems to be easier to control in rough water, when your weight shifts forward its easier to let off the throttle when it's finger controll...

Jim

+1
    With the finger throttle you can switch fingers to give the one used most often a rest. On thumb throttle skis you don't have that option. Either way, on long rides one finger or another is going to go numb. I wonder how many bike riders would be taking long cross country trips if they had to use any type of finger throttle !

Richard

fabrication guru rapidacceleration's Avatar
    +1
    motion pro can make you a cable for anything, and any configuration. twist, thumb, finger.. but i can tell you that when i switched my thumb to a twist on my Raptor (atv) it got me in trouble a few times. you hit a bump or wave and your wrist naturaly tends to twist down.. and the more you slide back on the seat in a hard acceleration, well the more you tend to twist back on the thottle also...
    Ive seen a guy at the offshore endurance racing have 2 finger thottles before.. one on each side. when he got tired he could just switch to his other hand.. it was a complex setup using two seperate spring loaded thottle cams that would independantly pull and retract without effecting the other... seams like alot work...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information