Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Riva Valvetrain install.

Guys I got my Riva valvetrain in yesturday and got started installing it late after work.

Anyway my thougths are this. It is a very nice and simple install,
    but there are a few things to consider.

1.) make sure your compressor is on all the time and will fill the cylinder up
    automatically as pressure drops. YES it leaks! You don't want to lose a valve in the motor because your compressor is not on. My reserve was 70p.s.i and would kick on and I went to 125p.s.i.
    2.) When presurizing the cylinder the motor will cylce. All it did was push the piston down to bottom dead center. No biggie Jerry Said!!!
    3.) Take extreme caution with the removal and replacement of the retainer cotters. You don't want to drop them in the hull. Hint use the needlnose plyiers that are bent. I also placed towles around the motor to catch anything I droped, so it didn't go under the motor or in the hull.
    4.) If you compress the valve and you hear a quick refill of the cylinder and your copreesor kicks on it is no big deal. All that is happening is you pushed the valve down and the cotters didn't release and it pushed the valve down and drained the cylinder. Just undo the spring, let the cylinder pressure come back up, remove the tool, and take the end of a screwdriver and tap the top of the stock retainer to help break the seal from the retainers and cotters. then you should be able to try again.
    5.) Get Jerry's tool off to the next guy....

Anyone have anymore thought just let us know.

Last edited by Water4fire; 05-09-2007 at 01:17 PM.

good to know...fine job!

this reminds me of the time I had to put a new set of valve springs on my old 351w in the dorm parking lot last year

V-Tec, 4-Tech that's how I roll meirvin's Avatar
    +1
    Glad you got it done austin now your ,,"good to go"

Hey Austin. Wish I could have come over to see this. It seems like a good learning experience. To bad it was so late when you started.

When I did my Valve train upgrade it is a good ideal to use a good maganet to pull the cotters out. and a good pair of 45 degree needlenose plyers

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by meirvin View Post
    Glad you got it done austin now your ,,"good to go"
    Well I haven't recieved my ECu yet. He took way to long. I will have to overnight it to Riva and back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by blowbyu View Post
    Hey Austin. Wish I could have come over to see this. It seems like a good learning experience. To bad it was so late when you started.
    Robert I wish I hadn't of had to rush it but I needed to get it done and the tool ship to the next guy.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRXP View Post
    When I did my Valve train upgrade it is a good ideal to use a good maganet to pull the cotters out. and a good pair of 45 degree needlenose plyers
    Yep I used a magnet to get them out and the bent Needlenose.

List of what needs to be done for the run next week is very long...

V-Tec, 4-Tech that's how I roll meirvin's Avatar
    +1
    Im going to be gunning for you..just kidding

List of what needs to be done for the run next week is very long...[/quote]

+1
    I will have absolutly no time to test and tune this ski.

So I am sure you will have me by a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Water4fire View Post
    Guys I got my Riva valvetrain in yesturday and got started installing it late after work.

Anyway my thougths are this. It is a very nice and simple install,
    but there are a few things to consider.

1.) make sure your compressor is on all the time and will fill the cylinder up
    automatically as pressure drops. YES it leaks! You don't want to lose a valve in the motor because your compressor is not on. My reserve was 70p.s.i and would kick on and I went to 125p.s.i.
    2.) When presurizing the cylinder the motor will cylce. All it did was push the piston down to bottom dead center. No biggie Jerry Said!!!
    3.) Take extreme caution with the removal and replacement of the retainer cotters. You don't want to drop them in the hull. Hint use the needlnose plyiers that are bent. I also placed towles around the motor to catch anything I droped, so it didn't go under the motor or in the hull.
    4.) If you compress the valve and you hear a quick refill of the cylinder and your copreesor kicks on it is no big deal. All that is happening is you pushed the valve down and the cotters didn't release and it pushed the valve down and drained the cylinder. Just undo the spring, let the cylinder pressure come back up, remove the tool, and take the end of a screwdriver and tap the top of the stock retainer to help break the seal from the retainers and cotters. then you should be able to try again.
    5.) Get Jerry's tool off to the next guy....

Anyone have anymore thought just let us know.

Thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to use them when my valve train upgrade kit arrives.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information