Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: bad MFD

bad MFD

MFD is starting to go I think. Volts reads between 19 and 36 while riding. It lost the hours and the lock code but it still does speed/rpm/and gas/oil. I have disconnected it and tried to reboot it that way. Runs and starts normally. Is there a way to bypass the MFD when it finally gives up the ghost? Will it it just die and leave me standed?

This is on my 2002 Virage

+1
    bilge, this isn't meant to be any kind of answer for your unit going bad BUT can you check to see what your charging to the battery? I'm curious as to wether or not you're over-charging.

I know those are freaky volt numbers. I used trickle charger on it last month after the winter storage. I think it is only a 1.5 or 2 amp. Was only on the charger for 2-3 hours before it was charged. After sitting overnight MFD reads 19-20v. and while riding it yesterday I looked down and was shocked to see it running 36v. I could probably weld up a new trailer with that many volts...............LOL!

+1
    I'm sorry, I meant when you run the craft what are the volts you get at the battery, through a volt meter on the battery versus the MFD.

Actually have not checked it that way. Just kinda figured if there was really 36 volts being sent to the batt it would have expolded or the very least spun the starter extra fast which it didn't. Ran it for 2 hours last night with no issues. Could a faulty magneto charge more than it should? Seems like it would only charge less if it was going bad. I really don't have a good working knowledge of how they charge anyway.

+1
    The battery voltage to the battery while at 3000RPM should be roughly 14.5volts, any more than that usually indicates a voltage regulator or ground issue.
    Let us know what you are charging to the battery, if it's much more than that 14.5 you may have an idea why your MFD is so whacky.

Ok, I put the meter on it and got 12.4v not running when MFD was reading 19v, and while running 14v when MFD was reading 26v. So still just wondering what will happen when the MFD up and dies, will I be at the Mercey of the currents and hopfully passing boaters...........LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Bilgewiper View Post
    So still just wondering what will happen when the MFD up and dies, will I be at the Mercey of the currents and hopfully passing boaters...........LOL!
    Some correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the most that will happen when the MDF dies will be that it throws the ski into limp mode.

Quote Originally Posted by axgrider73 View Post
    Some correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the most that will happen when the MDF dies will be that it throws the ski into limp mode.
    Just for future reference is there a way to bypass the MFD if it goes into limp mode?

I'm also curious. I have a 96 SLTX that I just picked up and has a non working mfd. If this pwc goes into this "limp mode' I have been reading about, can I bypass it without replacing the mfd? Thanks,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information