Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Gas Valves -- How much benefit do you get?

I realize the GK1390 kit doesn't use powervalves, newer GPRs don't use powervalves, so is there really that much of a benefit to upgrade to gas valves? If I eventually went big bore, I guess they wouldn't even be used..

+1
    THE GROUP K kit makes enough power that it doesnt need the added benefit of the powervalves. i personally like my 05 without them. less to go wrong

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SUCKMYWAKE View Post
    THE GROUP K kit makes enough power that it doesnt need the added benefit of the powervalves. i personally like my 05 without them. less to go wrong
    Agreed.....GK builds a great non-pv motor that works very well.There are guys on here that are putting up big #'s with Harry's setups.

Quote Originally Posted by WATER WOODY View Post
    Agreed.....GK builds a great non-pv motor that works very well.There are guys on here that are putting up big #'s with Harry's setups.
    I thought you were running PV's on your latest build OOOOOOOHHHH I SEE THRU EWE NOW.Sheep lovers agree on ANY HAIRY SETUP after a BIG NUMBER

what's the benefit of gas valves vs. electric anyway? just a "quicker response?"

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NateGP1300R View Post
    what's the benefit of gas valves vs. electric anyway? just a "quicker response?"
    Adjustable. Also if you upgrade to PV cylinders on the 05 an up models its the only way because that cdi cannot operate the PV motor.

The main reason I went to gas valves is because I intended to run the Advent ignition and even though it has adjustable controls for the valves it never seems to be quite right. When you get the holeshot dialed in the cruising suffers etc..

gotcha... but if i go big bore (1390 or larger) then, i really don't need them? any sort of PV?

+1
    gotcha... but if i go big bore (1390 or larger) then, i really don't need them? any sort of PV?
    Kinda depends on who does the porting. Group-k porting is not as aggressive as others and doesn't need the valves to help with bottom or midrange. When you go for the more radical porting the valves are needed to cover up the soggy holeshot you would have without them. Your portsmith you decide on would be able to explain what is best for the port timing.

I believe 1390 is about the limit on keeping valves due to the piston clearence to the valve.

hmm, so anything larger than 1390 would mean you couldn't run valves anyway?

+1
    hmm, so anything larger than 1390 would mean you couldn't run valves anyway?
    Not positive about it. Someone like TJ or Lowell would be better at answering that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information