reminder to check all screws and bolts holding console

while I was reattaching my trim ring on the gauge cluster (with glue so it wont fly off again) I noticed the entire console seemed to be just slightly loose, sure enough 2 of the screws going down from the top around the edges were loose, and upon further inspection the nut (and washer) that secures the front top part directly under the guages inside near the radio, were laying completely off inside the console.

Also the bolt going through the back part of the console through the glued on extra piece of whatever material that is for reinforcement was also loose, along with pretty much everything else. I tightened/loctited everything I could and threw on a bit of glue for extra strength. I truly am begginning to wonder if my lake is the choppiest lake on earth, or if I got a boat built on a bad day? I am going to start checking over every nut and bolt I can find as a preemptive strike.

Sorry if this thread is hard to read, I just felt the need to throw this out there so everyone else can check their stuff to be sure they dont encounter the same issues.

check & secure w/ locktite

After returning from a cross LI Sound venture, I found that 3 of the 4 bolts holding on my stbd pump nozzle had fallen out and the fourth very loose. This was before I had done anything to the pumps/impellers...factory condition. Definitely check 'em all and hit with locktite.

Quote Originally Posted by speedsterpimpin View Post
    while I was reattaching my trim ring on the gauge cluster (with glue so it wont fly off again) I noticed the entire console seemed to be just slightly loose, sure enough 2 of the screws going down from the top around the edges were loose, and upon further inspection the nut (and washer) that secures the front top part directly under the guages inside near the radio, were laying completely off inside the console.

Also the bolt going through the back part of the console through the glued on extra piece of whatever material that is for reinforcement was also loose, along with pretty much everything else. I tightened/loctited everything I could and threw on a bit of glue for extra strength. I truly am begginning to wonder if my lake is the choppiest lake on earth, or if I got a boat built on a bad day? I am going to start checking over every nut and bolt I can find as a preemptive strike.

Sorry if this thread is hard to read, I just felt the need to throw this out there so everyone else can check their stuff to be sure they dont encounter the same issues.

Yup same here. I noticed this after the first couple of times out. I also found the nut that holds the instument panel in had come off and that most of my console screws were loose.

I replaced the console screws with bolts and nuts using locktite. I guess it's a common problem

Lee

Well they put those screws straight into plastic with no metal backing or anything, of course they will work there way loose. Its almost like they planned failure into the design for some reason. It almost looks that whole console wants to tear away from the boat and fly out, and knowing my luck it will do so if I dont stay on top of it!

Thread Information