Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

XL1200 cavitation at high RPMs

So I recently picked up a 2000 XL1200 with 170 hours on it. Did the standard mods, powervalve clips, pump shoe plugs. It has aR&D Aquavein intake, otherwise stock. Prop is clean, no dings, burn, etc.

The issue I'm having is that at about 6,000 RPMs it cavitates a lot. Once at speed it seems to smooth out, but getting there takes easing into the throttle.

So the question is, what could cause this issue at such high RPMs? It's fine out of the hole until it hits about 6k. Any thoughts from the group?

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Check to see if the impeller is all beat up, Check to see the gap between the impeller and liner that it's not to much. And if them 2 things are ok must likely the rear felt on the back of the pump shoe blew out and that will cause a bad cavitation.

Quote Originally Posted by jims 1300 View Post
    Check to see if the impeller is all beat up, Check to see the gap between the impeller and liner that it's not to much. And if them 2 things are ok must likely the rear felt on the back of the pump shoe blew out and that will cause a bad cavitation.
    The impeller is clean, clearance to wear ring is definitely not bad. What kind of felt are you referring to? I'm not familiar with that part of the shoe.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie327 View Post
    The impeller is clean, clearance to wear ring is definitely not bad. What kind of felt are you referring to? I'm not familiar with that part of the shoe.
    When you lower the shoe, On the top side of the shoe in the rear there is a flat area the felt goes there between the shoe a transom plate. I take the felt out and fill that area with life seal never had any problems after that.

Quote Originally Posted by jims 1300 View Post
    When you lower the shoe, On the top side of the shoe in the rear there is a flat area the felt goes there between the shoe a transom plate. I take the felt out and fill that area with life seal never had any problems after that.
    Ok, I know what you mean. Yes, I had the entire shoe off and sealed everything when I did the plug kit. This is why I'm stumped. I think I've checked everything that's obvious.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie327 View Post
    Ok, I know what you mean. Yes, I had the entire shoe off and sealed everything when I did the plug kit. This is why I'm stumped. I think I've checked everything that's obvious.
    So getting to 6000 rpm's it's cavitating and you have to ease the throttle and after that it's ok. How many rpm's are you at wide open throttle.

+1
    i think the felt is missing and the gap is left open. just fixed my same problem. thanks rocketman

Is this felt also installed on the 1200r's? Just recently my ski could hit 65, and now it will only hit 47 and cant get above 6000 rpms. Do you think that this could be my problem. Also ski is stock other than waveeaters, D-plate. I've heard of doing the pump plug kit, but this is the first that I've heard about the felt.

Installing a Solas 13/19 prop in place of the stock OEM prop completely solved the issue I was having. They're a cheap mod, you may want to consider giving it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    Is life seal the same as 3M 4300/5200? Can you use that instead?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information