cant get accurate oil level reading

Ive done everything I can think of that you are supposed to do for to check the oil. Ive leveled the ski, let it idle 30 seconds, waited 30 more and then pulled the dip stick, cleaned it and put it back. Everytime there is oil starting about four inches above the bends. It is on the sides mostly that high. The stick is covered around the full level but it is really hard to tell it is full or if it is something else. Is it this hard for everyone else to get a reading? Is there another trick to this? I took about half a quart out and couldn't tell if did anything. Also is there a low level warning beep that will go off it is too low? Thanks for the help.

I tried to download a paint pic illustrating what I meant but it wont load. sorry
    Last edited by fazznick; 05-10-2007 at 10:46 PM.

Make sure it's Hot!!

I did this to death when we got our first 4-Tec. THE most important point is to make sure it's HOT. In my experience, it's not possible to get it hot enough just on the hose because you can only run it for a few minutes. You can check it on the hose if you run it immediatley you get it out of the water. More than 5mins and you can't get a repeatable reading. There seems to be many small chambers in the engine (dry sump design) where oil can "hide". The volume of the oil changes when it is hot and you get different amounts trapped in different areas which affect the reading greatly. Runit for 20 mins on the water and follow the procedure then.

thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fazznick View Post
    Ive done everything I can think of that you are supposed to do for to check the oil. Ive leveled the ski, let it idle 30 seconds, waited 30 more and then pulled the dip stick, cleaned it and put it back. Everytime there is oil starting about four inches above the bends. It is on the sides mostly that high. The stick is covered around the full level but it is really hard to tell it is full or if it is something else. Is it this hard for everyone else to get a reading? Is there another trick to this? I took about half a quart out and couldn't tell if did anything. Also is there a low level warning beep that will go off it is too low? Thanks for the help.
    if u want an accurate dip run your engine for 8 seconds then dip, if its between the bends then you are ok, test it in the morning and it should be at the top bend, its only cos the oil filter has no holding up valve to decide when its full , it drops from the filter back to the sump thats why people have difficulty checking the level if i'm wrong i'll eat my hat i dont know of any bleeps just dip it after a 3 to 8 second run, regards bill
    Last edited by jetskibill9999; 05-12-2007 at 06:58 PM.

Thread Information