Timing on the 1200

After looking for an answer as to why the MAG cylinder deto'd in my TX, I've now turned my attention to the timing. I noticed that the Matrix timing is only 12 degrees at 7000 rpm. My "limited" curve from Randy is 15* at 7000 rpm and 28* at 3000. What are the rest of you running for timing on the 1200?...especially with tripple pipes? Wondering if I'm going to have to back it down a touch to run pump gas?

+1
    What is your highest advanced #? You may be runing it at the highest degree advanced while crusing and getting the mag hot and detonating. Might need to run a splash of race gas. Do you have the cooling mod done?

+1
    There are variables, but what does it flatten out at above 7,000rpm, or is 15* your final flatline?

I ask, because that timing you list is correct, for "limited" applications. However, at 7500rpm like you're running, the timing should kick back to 13*, if not 12*.

Call me Crazy, but I will never subscribe to the belief that Factory Pipe triples can be run at 15*, under load, above 7,300rpm, indefinately on pump gas.

Thanks for the replies. Those are the only two numbers I have. I'm not sure what it does after 7000 rpm. I'll have to get more detailed info from Randy (he was busy today). Crazy, do you know what the Polaris sleeper "130" box does? Randy suggested rolling the timing plate back a few degrees, but you know what that involves w/ the Virage tripples! I'm also wondering if the timing in the midrange is too hot? I don't want to pull out too much timing and take the "hit" away...

+1
    I think you're going to find if you run less timing and maybe even a little less compression you'll be 92 octane ready BUT I guarantee you will NOT like the results.
    By the time mine was actually 92 octane compatible, I think a canoe with a paddle could have done better. LOL
    I think the fuels from long ago (when the pipes were developed) were much better in terms of fighting off detonation. Couple that with a second passenger, heavy rider, heavy engine load or towing and kiss that cylinder good buy again.
    I've been through it too many times to try and go back to the drawing board, especially since race fuel smells sooooo good.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Those are the only two numbers I have. I'm not sure what it does after 7000 rpm. I'll have to get more detailed info from Randy (he was busy today). Crazy, do you know what the Polaris sleeper "130" box does?

I only know that the Sleeper 130 is 28* @ 3,000 and 15* @ 7,000. I don't know any of the numbers in between or after 7,000.

The Superstock 131 is 28* @ 3,000 and 13* @ 7,500.

Traditionally, Randy has been able to provide a very detailed map of initial timing, final timing, and every thing in between.

Randy suggested rolling the timing plate back a few degrees, but you know what that involves w/ the Virage tripples!

I sure do, and that's not a road I ever want to travel again. How about borrowing a timing controller from someone and doing that way?

I'm also wondering if the timing in the midrange is too hot? I don't want to pull out too much timing and take the "hit" away...

That's a very real possibility. I believe your trouble became evident after a hard corner? That suggests that your problem may have been "load" related. Many times, octane can help with that. There are books and writings out there that suggest just spinning higher rpm's alone can generate too much heat due to the extra "duty" cycles. More cycles, more fires, more heat....
    Combine that with whatever the pipes may do at higher rpms, chitty modern gas, timing, load.... who knows?
    Mine was showing some ever-so-slight signs of deto on the mag cylinder. I added the GroupK mag cylinder cooling mod, jetted one or two sizes up on that cylinder, and starting running at least 3 gallons of C-12 to a full tank and it was OK after that.
    You may wind up finding a gremlin so-to-speak, and none of this will be relevent, but me personally, I always like to run some race gas until I know where I am. It's certainly no cure-all, but it may provide that extra insurance until you know where you stand.
    It took a long time for a friend and mentor to convince me of this, but I DO NOT trust pump gas anymore. I used to battle with him about it, but now I'm a believer. Hell, you know. You're a sled head.
    By the way, 7,500 rpm is quite respectable, what prop are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyA View Post
    You may wind up finding a gremlin so-to-speak, and none of this will be relevent, but me personally, I always like to run some race gas until I know where I am. It's certainly no cure-all, but it may provide that extra insurance until you know where you stand.
    It took a long time for a friend and mentor to convince me of this, but I DO NOT trust pump gas anymore. I used to battle with him about it, but now I'm a believer. Hell, you know. You're a sled head.
    By the way, 7,500 rpm is quite respectable, what prop are you running?

Well, I'm going to mix in some race fuel, at least while I get it dialed in. I usually do the same thing with my sleds, when the combo is new...Should have done it here, but the stations with the race fuel hadn't received their batch for the summer. I try to keep my sled combos conservative, because you can't buy race fuel in the boonies when you're on a 250 mile trail ride. I love the DET (Polaris's Detonation Elimination Technology for those who arent sledders) system on my 600HO. You can keep jetting down until you see that light, then up one. So far so good with that motor. I'd love to be able to retro fit that thing onto a ski

7500 rpm is with the completely stock pump and 2000 OEM nujet. It was fighting the rev limiter last trip out, so who knows how high it was trying to go. I'm thinking I'm going to prop it for 7400ish...With the ported cylinders, it should be happier turning a bit higher than the 7200ish those pipes usually run on a stock motor.

Thread Information