+1

RR IC Modification Idea

Since it seems the only draw back to the RR part is that the intake is smaller than the exhaust why not cut the intake tube off and plastic weld a larger piece of pipe in its place? Ideally, it would be nice to remove the end cap and do this but I do not know if that is doable. Or maybe just bore out that side a little if there is enough material there.

Another idea would be to make an entire new end cap from billet but I do not know if that would be an easy solution or not. Then the IC pipe bend could be removed as well.

What do you guys think???

+1
    I have often thought about this, but never got brave enough to try it.
    I think its a great idea.

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    I dunno guys i think you're playing with fire cuttin up that IC. If it was aluminum i would say yeah but you're taking a big risk of weakening it if you start to cut it up. I don't think there would be enough material to bore out the inlet and outlet and have any real effect. I would just wait to see what kind of results Jerry gets from a back to back test. I have a feeling the RR IC will work just as good as the Riva IC due to it's larger cooling area. It may run with a little bit more pressure drop due to it being a little bit more restrictive but it might be more efficient at cooling the intake charge. The idea is good but the risk of destroying an $800 IC doesn't seem worth the risk. Just my .02

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    the boost difference between they two may not be due to restriction... as a matter of fact, i highly doubt it's because of restriction. I think the RR is cooling the air better than the Riva since it's bigger. Cooler denser air has less pressure than warmer air, but that does not mean you are losing power in anyway whatsoever. I think the air density due to intercooler ouput temps is the factor changing the boost reading

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    I dissagree Steve. The air density being higher due to a cooler charge is quite possible the larger cooling area almost certainly slows the the intake charge resulting in a lower peak boost reading. But like i said this may not be a bad thing due to a cooler intake charge. Maybe Jerry knows someone with a flow bench who could settle this with a flow test.

Don't get me wrong i'd love to see someone prove otherwise and come up with something that works better. I'm not bein a nay sayer i'd just hate to see someone destroy something so expensive and valuable in stock form. Maybe i just don't have the balls.

+1
    From what I have read a restriction of the SC is good for low psi's like ours. The only problem is that the restriction needs to be the actual IC fins doing the restriction not the housing. If the restriction is the cooling fins then you get more cooling effect, with our housing being the restriction I only see it as a hinderance. It may slow down the air moving across the coils a little but at what price, 1/2lb of boost?? The boost is minimal I bet the CFMs is what is being hurt the most.

Just a thought

+1
    I need a dyno!!!

+1
    Did you ring????
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information