Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with sl780 fuel problem

I just bought a set of polaris sl780's and one of them has a fuel problem. I have to hold the throttle wide open and spin it over for a while to get it to start, while doing this it blows gas out the top of the #1 carb and also pours gas out of the exhaust. When it sarts it does not blow as much gas out but there is still a little coming out. Any help would be appriciated.

+1
    Hey Welcome to the Hulk. I would guess that you have a reed problem,

I am taking the carbs off right now but it started raining. How can I tell if the reed is bad? Thanks

+1
    Inspect them look for broken or cracked peddles.

+1
    HI tucker, I'd also like to say WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums.

I like beers idea, I know that's where I'd start.

I just got the reed valves off and sure enough one of the peddles was broken off. I m going to order some gaskets and a valve and see how it does. Thanks

Would the bad reed explain the gas in the exhaust, and it running terrible? I also have a problem with the other ski, I took it to the lake and it ran great until it got low on gas so we went and got some gas but when we got back to the lake it would not plane out. I took it to the shop and they drained the gas out of both ski's mixed it together, added some oil, put it back in and changed the plugs. We took it back to the lake and it ran fine until it got low on gas again, my brother unknowingly took it back to the same store and got gas when he got back it ran like crap. I brought them home to check it out while doing so I decided to remove the plug wiires one at a time and noticed the middle cylinder was not firing right so I decided to check the compression the front and back had 130psi and the middle had 50psi. I went ahead and drained the bad gas, changed the plugs and took it back to try it out, it ran as well as it did before the day before. Today while I was working on the other one I decided to run it for a minute and see how it ran, it sounds as if it would be bogged down if I took it out today. Is there anyway the cylinder could have good compression at some time and not at others because when it is running right it will out run my ski boat, could it do that on two cylinders with a 6'4 270# man riding it. Thanks for the help.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jtucker84 View Post
    Would the bad reed explain the gas in the exhaust, Yes and it running terrible? Yes I also have a problem with the other ski, I took it to the lake and it ran great until it got low on gas so we went and got some gas but when we got back to the lake it would not plane out. I took it to the shop and they drained the gas out of both ski's mixed it together, added some oil, put it back in and changed the plugs. We took it back to the lake and it ran fine until it got low on gas again, my brother unknowingly took it back to the same store and got gas when he got back it ran like crap. I brought them home to check it out while doing so I decided to remove the plug wiires one at a time and noticed the middle cylinder was not firing right so I decided to check the compression the front and back had 130psi and the middle had 50psi.Not good I went ahead and drained the bad gas, changed the plugs and took it back to try it out, it ran as well as it did before the day before. Today while I was working on the other one I decided to run it for a minute and see how it ran, it sounds as if it would be bogged down if I took it out today. Is there anyway the cylinder could have good compression at some time and not at others Not likely check compressing again because when it is running right it will out run my ski boat, could it do that on two cylinders with a 6'4 270# man riding it. Thanks for the help.
    You should start two threads one for each ski. that way we know whats up with each.

I replaced the reed valve, started it up and it sounded good so I took it back to the lake but when I got there it was hard to start I had to spin it over with the throttle wide open for a little bit before it would start. When it finally started it seemed to be bogged down but I kept playing with the choke and it would run good plane out and hit about 6400 rpms but only for a short period then bogg down again. Any idea on what to do next? Thanks.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Chances are the ski may need the carbs rebuilt. It prob. sat for a while without any Stabil in the gas and varnished the insides of the carbs. The choke helping the situation, makes me think your running lean and the choke richens up the mixture. You need to fix that before you burn down a piston or worse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information