Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Big Problems

Big Problems

Alright everyone I will start with what I know and hopefully someone can fill me in on what I dont. I bought a 1999 Polaris SLX recently. First thing I did was replace the battery and it started fine. I took it out to the lake for the first time and it was hard to start kept starting and stopping. I got it to idle and went for a spin. It was cutting out really bad because the rev limmiter was kicking in. I took it home to take a look at it and opened up the electrical box and water poured out. Needless to say I replaced the terminal board and all the connectors. I took it out the next day and it started no problem. I rode it around for and hour or so starting and stopping it several time. The next time I went out it take a minute to start, but ran. I rode for about five minutes and then went to our spot on the beach ans killed it. My girl jumped on the back and I pushed the start button and it cranked over,but would not start. I messed with it for several hours on the beach to no avail. I took it home and replaced the plugs checked the spark all good. I took compression readings and all three cylinderrs came out to 90 PSI. I took the carbs off and when I removed the fuel return hose it sprayed gas cause it had a lot of pressure. Maybe because the vent is clogged? If anyone has any advice on solving this problem please don't hesitate to post, thanks

+1
    Ok you had water in the electrical box. Did you check for water in the stator housing? (Flywheel cover) I would like to rule out the basics and go from there.

www.springbreak-florida.com rgard32's Avatar
    hes got spark..he says...hrmm 90 psi is uhh not good....either way your gonna have to pull the motor...and then it will be ez to check the stator and everything......definitely rebuild the carbs..and at minimum the top end..

im no expert..but if my motor was at 90psi it would get yanked heh

Is it normal for all three to be equally bad compression wise because they are all at exactly 90PSI The reason I ask is because i dont know how accurate the guage is I just bought it, but I just don't know.

www.springbreak-florida.com rgard32's Avatar
    oooh well if u are not sure about the guage...then u need to get another one.....and check it....i got mine at an auto parts store for 25 bucks..and it works just fine..

u can always pull the head(s) and look to see if there is any damage too..it isnt to hard..

+1
    Equal is good the gauge is off. +- 10% is the norm.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    The engine needs to be at normal temp. when compression testing. It may read low when cold, but warm it up and it should go up once the rings expand. Your gas tank shouldn't be under pressure. It is possible the vent is obstructed, check all hoses. Make sure the circuit breaker is not tripped on the elec. box, since you had water in it.

Good a lot of info. Yeah I read in the manual that the engine should be warm, so thats probably why the compression is low. I can't start the thing to test properly eighther! I'll check out the vents on the tank that might keep the gas from flowing steady as it creates a vacuum. As far as the carbs go when I go through them and clean them out is there anything I should keep a look out for? How would I check that cicuit breaker? Thanks guys

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Circuit breaker is the button on top of the black elec. box. Just push it down, if it popped up. As for the carbs, just look for obstructions and gummy deposits. Prob. should replace the needles and seats while your at it. Keep us posted.

I think that although the compression might be a little low, that it is not the cause of your troubles.

I would rebuild the carbs (soak them in a bucket of carb cleaner for a couple of days) and replace the fuel lines if you haven't already done so.

As far as the gas tank venting, an easy way to check this is when it doesn't start, loosen the gas cap. This will release any vacuum or excess pressure (CAREFUL NOT TO ALLOW ANY WATER INTO THE GAS TANK). Lets us know what happens.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information