grrr more rectifier troubles

well I went out this weekend with my intake Version 2, I have the breather hose routed back into my home made intake and all of that is working fantasticly, but this darn rectifier is being an absolute nightmare. Apparantly mine is not happy with anything less than some kind of air flow cooling it as having it mounted outside the box STILL caused the over voltage code and it was very hot (it burned my finger) and of course since it was so hot it melted the adhesive on the extra strength velcro fastener and would have fallen down anyways.

I need to come up with some kind of solid way to mount it, then attach my computer cooling fan like I did before, the cooling fan worked before but the zip ties holding the rectifier to the metal crossbar all snapped off.

I am at the point I may very well remove that aluminum bar that holds the airbox in place and drill 2 holes in it and mount the rectifier directly to it and attach the fan on to the heatsink of the rectifer.

I love the extra power the intake gives me but man has it been a nightmare. I was running almost 8200 rpms with the intake and it was very noticeably faster.

Doo It Till It Hurts! holdnon72's Avatar

Custom Rectifier Mount

Just make up a mount like this design I drew up for you. You can bolt this to the aluminium metal bracket that the stock air-box straps onto. Make sure you use stainless steel nuts/Bolts and washers. I suggest you goto lowes or home depot and get some plexi glass not the thin stuff get something that won't flex,a piece thats sturdy enough to hold the rectifiler and mini fan. Bolt the 2 pieces together using 2 (L) brackets like I drew in the photo. Bend the (L) brackets inwards so the fan will be angled down blowing directly at the rectifier. Also use the stock rectifier gasket inbetween the rectifier and the Plexi glass. To cut out the holes for the rectifier and fan you can use a drill bit and small straight coping saw with a fine tooth blade on it. If you need any more tips on making the bracket just contact me...Excuse my drawling im no artist it's just an idea I had to get you out of the jam your in. Take your time and make it look pretty You could use metal or wood but the plexi glass is gonna look the best!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mount.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	537.2 KB 
ID:	24534  

I think my biggest problem is that I am always trying to make solutions using parts I have laying around, needless to say I took the aluminum airbox bracket out of the boat, lined the rectifier up on it and drilled 2 holes in it and tapped it to use the stock screws that hold it in the airbox normally. I then used metal tie wire to strap the fan directly onto the rectifier, it APPEARS to be almost indestructible at this point, but as always I will bring my stock parts to the lake if I need to swap back. I tell ya though if there is way to cause chaos on a boat, I will find it, so if anyone ever needs any durability testing put me behind the wheel, I will find your weak link.

I just mounted mine right next to the air filter only a few inches away and it is working just fine. Doesnt get too hot, and isnt running poorly or making any lights come up on the gauges.

Well I dunno maybe its the heat and humidity here in Texas, but mine threw a code and light every single time it WASNT being cooled by some kind of moving airflow. I suspect my current setup will hold though, and if it doesnt I will likely just go insane.

Ok here is a pic, dont make fun of my semi ghetto rigging, that metal wire holding the fan is stronger than it looks and its all twisted together on the bottom, plus the rectifier itself is bolted onto that frame piece. I think the worst thing that can happen now is the fan dying, but luckily since I am a computer tech by trade I have stacks of them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rectifier.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	24761  

Thread Information